2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anything I should Know? (Flat towing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anything I should Know? (Flat towing)

ORIGINAL: tothewall

Dont worry about taking the dshaft out. If you are towing flat, put the tranny in PARK and the tcase in neutral. make SURE that everything is disengaged by starting it up with the tcase in neutral and putting it in drive and reverse. If nothing hooks up then you are good as far as the drivetrain goes. Make sure as well that the key is in it and rotated forward enough to unlock the steering. make sure that the hitch and the towbar are as close to level as possible, take a short run in the streets, maybe to a parking lot to do some full lock turns to make sure everything looks good and then a short blast down the highway. Stop to check that all the pins are in place and that all the connections are safe and you are off.

Nice Jeep BTW.
Yeah, that doesnt work... My bro and I towed his 93 cherokee on a car dolly and HAD to remove the rear driveshaft, even though the t case was in neutral. I would remove both driveshafts.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:15 PM
tothewall
Rookie

Dude you are talking out your ***. Just because you and your bro took out the driveshafts does not mean you HAD to do it. The fault of using the internet is that people post stuff that makes no sense. I have 1000's of miles of experience flat towing and you do NOT need to take out the shafts. Put the auto in Park and the Tcase in N and have at 'er.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 PM
tothewall
Rookie

WTF?!?!?

It does indeed work. Write about what you know man.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional

i wasnt planning to pull the rear driveshaft, but since i have an automatic locker (Detroit EX Locker) in the front axle i thought i would have to pull the front shaft

Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

...something about insufficient oiling while in OD.

OD on/off may also depend on your tire size, and your ability to keep rpm's up. with bigger tires my truck does better about 2000 rpm. below that its pretty sluggish.

for highway driving, be careful about pulling tranny down in 2nd, you don't want to do that at any kind of speed or i'd think you would be turning too many rpm's.

many years ago we had an old jeep that we towed behind the truck. it pulled good. you should be fine.
wont be in second on the highway. and when i do downshift for the big downgrade i wont be touching the gas. the idea (at least on the trail) is that you downshift to your lowest gear right before the descent, nudge it over the lip then just take your foot off the gas and cover the brake but dont touch it. if your geared low enough it will just walk itself n nice and slow and you don't have to use your breaks. on the trail you do this because if you lock your tires you could slide and things could get ugly really fast.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Dude you are talking out your ***. Just because you and your bro took out the driveshafts does not mean you HAD to do it. The fault of using the internet is that people post stuff that makes no sense. I have 1000's of miles of experience flat towing and you do NOT need to take out the shafts. Put the auto in Park and the Tcase in N and have at 'er.
Yeah, says the guy with 67 posts

The jeep would not move at all, one wheel turned one way, the other turned the opposite way. Not to mention it is easier on the T case just to take out the rear drive shaft, whats another 2 minutes to take it out?

Old 02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
tothewall
Rookie

2700+ posts did nothing for the quality of YOUR info. Hopefully the guy has the good sense to ignore your posts.

The jeep would not move at all, one wheel turned one way, the other turned the opposite way.
We are not unhooking the steering there dimwit. You should be ashamed of yourself to have Mechanic in your handle. It gives Techs a bad name.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

Yeah, says the guy with 67 posts

The jeep would not move at all, one wheel turned one way, the other turned the opposite way. Not to mention it is easier on the T case just to take out the rear drive shaft, whats another 2 minutes to take it out?
Its not the two minutes to take it out that bother me, its the 30 minutes to put it back in cause I KNOW the t-case and pinion wont be lined up.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 PM
THEGOLDPRO
Captain

hahah i love it when someone thinks their post count makes them an expert on everything. READ... HAVING A HIGH POST COUNT DOES NOT MAKE YOU SMART AND ALL KNOWING, JUST MEANS YOU HAVE NO LIFE.

Quick Reply: Anything I should Know? (Flat towing)