2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:55 AM
kurrz96ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Maintenance

Would it be worth having the valve bodies changed and a shift kit put in and having the bands adjusted on a tranny that has 100K on it? Or wait until a new one is needed? Thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Default RE: Transmission Maintenance

wouldnt hurt. throw a bigger cooler on it as well, keep that tranny life goin a little longer. your gettin close to the rebuild stage...

Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 AM
kurrz96ram
Rookie

That's what I figured but, I don't put many miles on so I was wondering if it would be worth the investment if it would give me more miles.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just adjust the bands, change filter and fluid... thats cheap enough... saying "you getting close to rebuild stage" is incredibly stupid...

Dont worry about it going out, just do the maitnence if its acting fine today, its not going to just randomly go out tomarow. Take care of it, its an older tranny so dont bag on it but just treat it normal, dont baby it dont beat it... drive and dont think about it.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just do it all but I'm not sure about a new valve body. I don't know that you'd need to go that far. Fluid change, band adjustment and make sure you have a good cooler without a doubt. The shift kit will firm up the shifts and stop some slippage which should also extend the life of it.

Quick Reply: Transmission Maintenance