2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stumped on coolant loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: stumped on coolant loss

It's not overfilling the over flow tank is it? That could be just a bad rad cap.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 AM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you mentioned your wife smelling something.

Usually, only the girls can smell any sort of odor in my truck, the guys dont think anything of it.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: lizardhunt

I don't smell anything in the cab. When vehicle is idling there is no smell of coolant outside of vehicle or under hood.
All fluids are clear, just changed oil and serviced tranny...all clear.
The onlycoolant that I have been able to find is the from the overflow tube itself after driving in from the house to work (15 miles). Wife smelt a hint of antifreeze in the morning a little over a week ago in the first 7 miles of trip into town. Smell stopped.

I'll have to check the hoses that aim4squirrels mentioned...never thought of a pinhole leak in the heater hoses.

I bet your heater core has pinholes in it. The smell comes and goes depending on when the coolant recrystalizes and plugs where it's leaking. I've posted pics of my heater core before where I had almost no heat, a loss of coolant, but the truck ran great and there were no signs of coolant leaking out of the HVAC box, because it was leaking just enough so as not to be seen. It took a while before the coolant smell started to become noticable.

If the wife smelled coolant, pull the heater core. Trust me.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Baddnet
Professional

and your sure the cap is good.. and not blowing coolent back into res..and then spitting it out on the ground as you drive..is engine temp normal..? might try hanging a small jug on end of overflow hose and see if it fills up...when driving.. it has to be going somewhere.. try looping your heater core hose and bypass the heater core..and see if your still loosing it.. this a strange.. it has to be going somewhere a gallon is a bunch to have to keep replacing... when you did the pressure check ..did you do both a cold test and a warm?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
lizardhunt

Lots of info to digest, and respond to...I did replace both thermostat and radiator cap. Could be that both are bad still.

I checked the overflow tube this AM after getting into town. The end of the tube was covered in fresh antifreeze. System is backing up. I'll try taping a beer bottle over the end of the tube tomorrow to see how much is leaking.

I think I will check the heater core too over the weekend to see if I can find any sign of leakage there. One strange thing abouta leak here is that I do not get moisture in the windows...I run defrost in the AM asI'm in NW Montana and I still haveover a foot of snow in theyard.

I don't smell the coolant but I'm used to the truck though.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

The overflow tube off the rad, doesn't it go into its own container?
Or does it just hang there and spill on the ground if anything comes out?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 PM
lizardhunt

The overflow off of the radiator runs into the overflow reservoir/fill reservoir. This tank sits on the passenger side wheel well and has a rubber tube (overflow) that runs down the wheel well and lets fluid run onto the ground.

The end of this rubber tube is the one that has the fresh antifreeze on it.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Oh Ok.
That sounds right. Is the over flow tank completly full?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:28 PM
lizardhunt

No, it is about halfway between add and full mark.
Last night I filled it up to just over full to allow for air pocket displacement.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Baddnet
Professional

ORIGINAL: lizardhunt

Lots of info to digest, and respond to...I did replace both thermostat and radiator cap. Could be that both are bad still.

I checked the overflow tube this AM after getting into town. The end of the tube was covered in fresh antifreeze. System is backing up. I'll try taping a beer bottle over the end of the tube tomorrow to see how much is leaking.

I think I will check the heater core too over the weekend to see if I can find any sign of leakage there. One strange thing abouta leak here is that I do not get moisture in the windows...I run defrost in the AM asI'm in NW Montana and I still haveover a foot of snow in theyard.

I don't smell the coolant but I'm used to the truck though.

Don't tape the bottle so air can't escape..or it might blow the bottle off.. :P
Might even want to flush the engine and radiator..

Quick Reply: stumped on coolant loss