2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Dodge RAM 1500 V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 07:22 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge RAM 1500 V6

So, I got up for work this morning, and my truck wouldn't start. I figured maybe it had something to do with the cold, but it was no colder than the day before... When I got home from work, I noticed that there was a wire hanging down underneath my truck! I recently moved, and this neighborhood certainly isn't the best I've ever lived in... I crawled under the truck and from what I can see, it looks like someone cut the wires going to a sensor in my exhaust. There is one sensor just before the catalytic converter, and another sensor just past the cat... The one just past the cat is the one that has been cut. It was cut right at the tip of the sheath, so I removed the sheath and tried to crimp the wires back on, however, the wires inside the sheath have no color code whatsoever... The wires coming from the truck are black, grey, and two white wires... There is no way to distinguish the two white wires apart either. Anyways, none of this matters, because one of the wires going down into the exhaust broke. I guess all I really want to know is - why on earth would a sensor stop my truck from starting? Or... and I don't want to think of this, could there be something more serious wrong? Any suggestions? I'm really angry, and being Christmas day, there's no friggin' way I'll be able to get it fixed, not for a few days anyhow... ugh

-merry christmas
rob

Old 12-26-2004, 02:38 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1996 Dodge RAM 1500 V6

That sensor is just the O2 sensor. It won't keep your truck from starting, so you have another problem. Does the engine crank over, or is the truck totally dead? As for the O2 sensor, replace it.

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge RAM 1500 V6