2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Compressor

Old 12-27-2004, 10:55 AM
banwhalen
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compressor

Question...

I fired up my 98 Ram the other day and heard a slapping kind of sound coming from the front of the engine, I think that's a belt problem (flat spot) as it is kind of old and had sat for several days in the cold weather, started to quiet down when the engine warmed. I am replacing it today with a new one. Anyone know if the Dayco belts are better than oem?

My question is: when I was trying to figure out the noise from the belt, I turned on the a/c and noticed that I did not hear the normal on off of the a/c clutch. When I turn on the a/c, shouldn't I hear the compressor engage? I realize that it was only in the lower 30's outside, but that shouldn't affect it. Could the belt be the culpret? The noise that I heard and believe is the belt was coming from the left side of the front of the motor near the coil. The a/c compressor was not making any noise. Maybe a loose connection. I just thought that I should hear the compressor engage.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

vr,

Eduardo Banwhalen

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Compressor