2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torque ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 PM
TonkaMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque ?

hey everyone I have a 99 5.9 4x4 ext. cab with around 86k stock other then an electric exhaust cutout valveand an edelbrock round air cleaner w/ 14x3 filter. my question is what type of mods would I be looking at to get more torque to the wheels... and what am I looking at spending here? a friend of mine who has the most badass tahoe I have ever seen suggested vortec heads... I have not seen anything on here about these so I dont know if they would help. Im looking to get "damn this truck has some power" feel to it... I know the open exhaust is killin my low end torque, but is there anything I can do to compensate for that and give her more getup and go?

Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: torque ?

get a 408 stroker kit

Get ride of the cutout, and get a header back exhaust, but don't go too big, or you'll more of that low end. Stock exhuast is great for lowend torque.

Get a larger gear ratio. if you have 3.55 get 4.10's.

Thats all i can think of at this second. I'm alittle tired.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: TonkaMan

hey everyone I have a 99 5.9 4x4 ext. cab with around 86k stock other then an electric exhaust cutout valveand an edelbrock round air cleaner w/ 14x3 filter. my question is what type of mods would I be looking at to get more torque to the wheels... and what am I looking at spending here? a friend of mine who has the most badass tahoe I have ever seen suggested vortec heads... I have not seen anything on here about these so I dont know if they would help. Im looking to get "damn this truck has some power" feel to it... I know the open exhaust is killin my low end torque, but is there anything I can do to compensate for that and give her more getup and go?
your friend shouldnt be giving advice.

vortec heads are for bowties.

dont get rid of the cutout.

power is in the heads and cam. just get a new cam if you want some power. Just cam alone took 3 seconds out of my 0-60.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:27 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

You need a tune. Whenever you radically alter the stock setup with things likeopen exhaust, intake manifolds, big heads, etc. It will make you run lean at wot. A moderate to big cam will f things all up. It will make you rich down low and lean up top. There are also things that a custom tune will take care of like tq management, the death flash, and fuel ramp timers. Do a search on'death flash' and 'torque management'. Fix your plenum, do a tune up and get an SCT tuner from someone who can work with you on a tune.The SCT is the best thing going for our trucks right now. Superchips and Hypertech really don't do much for you unless you have the death flash. They don't touch torque management. The canned tunes I have tried (B&G, Tom Fox, KRC) have been mostlyrich. PM me and I'll give you an email address for a tuner that can hook you up.

Quick Reply: torque ?