2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3" lift kit for 2wd!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 AM
vz893
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3" lift kit for 2wd!

ORIGINAL: jason.w

ORIGINAL: motorbrreath

cause its a 2wd.
I'm with motorbrreath on this one. I'm not saying a 2WD is bad, but whats the point of lifting one?
Because sometimes you just don't need 4wd. Unless your in mud, soft sand or rock crawling, 4wd just isn't needed.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 AM
sk8ordie
Professional

thank you vz893!!! like ive posted before im not looking to do that. I just want to take my bike out and not get stuck on/in something stupid cuz i dont have the ground clearance. im not gonna beat my truck up. ive asked this before but it never fails ( its 2wd theres no point, ur gonna get stuck, 2wd is a street truck). the point is its my truck i want to go offroad, yes im gonna get stuck but thats the whole point of offroading is to try and get stuck! and a truck is a truck, its meant to get beat up. if i wanted a street truck then i would have kept my s10. im just looking for some help not someone to bash on me cuz im going against the grain and lifting a 2wd. its not like its never been done before. ive seen many 2wd outperform 4wd. by the way vz893 what is a UCA?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM
dusty_duster
Veteran

ORIGINAL: vz893

ORIGINAL: motorbrreath

cause its a 2wd.
Shut Up[sm=icon_beat.gif]

As far as that kit goes, it doesn't look very good. A 3" lift on a 2wd requires aftermarket UCA, the website doesn't even mention them. That is enough to stay away from them. Also, like aubrey said, blocks really are not that bad, their just the cheap way to do it. Kinda like spacers vs springs. 1 is cheap, the other is more performance oriented. Blocks do however add to the chance of axle wrap occuring.
Perhaps instead of the "budget" kit, you should get this one instead:

http://store.topguncustomz.com/store...amp;i=28079356

Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 AM
sk8ordie
Professional

sorry dusty thats the one i was looking at. is that what vz meant by UCA? (the spindles)

Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
dusty_duster
Veteran

ORIGINAL: sk8ordie

sorry dusty thats the one i was looking at. is that what vz meant by UCA? (the spindles)
I think he meant "Upper Control Arms." But you have to remember that the 2WD and 4WD suspensions are completely different. The kit that includes the spindles says that it will keep your steering in the stock alignment, so I would think that should be all you need, but I don't know for sure. Only one way to find out...

Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 AM
vz893

ORIGINAL: sk8ordie

thank you vz893!!! like ive posted before im not looking to do that. I just want to take my bike out and not get stuck on/in something stupid cuz i dont have the ground clearance. im not gonna beat my truck up. ive asked this before but it never fails ( its 2wd theres no point, ur gonna get stuck, 2wd is a street truck). the point is its my truck i want to go offroad, yes im gonna get stuck but thats the whole point of offroading is to try and get stuck! and a truck is a truck, its meant to get beat up. if i wanted a street truck then i would have kept my s10. im just looking for some help not someone to bash on me cuz im going against the grain and lifting a 2wd. its not like its never been done before. ive seen many 2wd outperform 4wd. by the way vz893 what is a UCA?
Way to go man, I take my 2wd out ALL the time. Sure I get stuck, but hey, that's why you never go alone. I understand where your coming from, I'm not looking for a off-road champ either, just something that will manage in most areas. UCA are Upper Control Arms. It's the top a-arm that holds the upper ball joint to the spindle. When you install a lift kit (either a spacer or coil) you seperate the UCA and LCA into a odd angle which makes it hard to realign. That and the stock UCA sometimes hit the coil holder when the suspension droops. An aftermarket UCA solves these problems by correcting the bj angle and adding space to clear the coil holder. The most you can go on a v6 is usually 2" becaus ethe v6 weighs less, on v8's you might be able to max out 2.5". It really depends how good you want your suspension. If you just want a little more ground clearance, get 2" coil spacer for $50. If you still want to retain full suspension travel, get lift coils for $130. The best, but costly, solution imho is getting a spindle lift like dusty stated. That kits alows you to retain stock shock (why you would want to keep them thought is beyond me), springs and proper alignment w/o any aftermarket arms. Either way, keep on supporting the 2wd community.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Arcticcatram

2wd has its limitations but for the most part will go anywhere a 4wd can until you're stuck! I live in the Coast mountains of British Columbia and we spend pretty much every weekend camping and dirtbiking up the forestry roads and my 2wd goes everywhere and because i know its 2wd I don't waste my time rockcrawling or mudding and breaking things. Thats what the dirt bike is for!
I've considered a lift because with ground clearance and rear locker you really can offroad despite what alot of people believe. My father had a fullsize van with a rear locker and that thing was unbelievable. He drove it places I wouldn't even want to take a 4wd.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

I'd like a 3" lift because of the look of it. But factoring in all my costs I want to do for my truck makes 240 + a shop to install because I'm not risking my truck falling on me without a lift= seems too costly.

I always keep my eye open though

Old 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
vz893

A 3" lift for a 2wd cost a lot more than $240. 3" coils are $130+, Extended shocks are about $70+ for a pair, you will also need a aftermarket UCA which cost $250-$500. The install is actually really easy, all you need is a jack, pair of jack stands, some hand tools, bj separator and a trip to the alignment rack. But if you don't want to do it yourself, the shop will most likely charge an arm and a leg. Point is, when it's all said and done, the total is more likely to be in the $500 range.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:11 PM
bobbos_ram
Rookie

i was pretty surprised the 4 by's responded like that lol but im lookin to get mine done because i cant count how many times ive bottomed out on stuff when im just workin around our land and stuff plus it looks alot better and you put in a better diff you can still make it through alot of stuff

Quick Reply: 3" lift kit for 2wd!