2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

drag link

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 PM
phlash_riot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag link

So i replaced the steering gear but todo that i had to pull the pitman arm off with it so i had to disconnect my pitman arm from the drag link. i got the new steering gear installed and installed a new pitman arm. now the quto parts store did not have one for the 98 ram but they did have one that cross referanced in the books from a 99 ram so i bought that. i compared it against the old one and it looked like an identical match and form what the internet sites selling them it would seem to be the case that they are completly interchangable 94-01. but the drag link will not torque down to the listed 80ft/lbs. i have run out of threads on the drag link to screw the nut back on. it it WAY past the point that i can screw it down any more to the point that the carter key is going trough the drag link shaft but not the bolt however the drag link shaft to my knowlage is a taper fit into the pitman arm...correct? and if it is, then it is not being pulled down enough to make a solid friction fit as i belive that is should... so what am i doing wrong? was there supposed to be a washer under the nut as well?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:43 PM
TheForce55555
All Star
Default RE: drag link

Sounds like the hole in the pitman arm is larger, or the new drag links shaft is a little longer or has less of a taper

Put a washer on the shaft and torque the nut down

Old 03-17-2008, 05:29 PM
phlash_riot
Default RE: drag link

i take it that it doesn't matter if they (washers) are there since all i am doing is torquing it down to get the friction fit. just for clarification.. there was no washer there to begin with right? just checking in case for some reason my buddy or I forgot about it.

In any case i was looking online for a drag link...hard to find... anyone know a reputable source for them or the whole steering setup post pitman arm?

Quick Reply: drag link