2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Kennesaw Mountain Accessories winch bumper -dial up beware

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kennesaw Mountain Accessories winch bumper -dial up beware

Sweet. That's a monster.
Personally, I wouldn't mount them under cause I'd rip them off on a trail. On the front, I'd probably smash them on a rock. Up top somewhere is where I would put them if it were my truck. It depends on the trails you ride though.
I wonder if the winch was meant to mount with the bottom facing the front of the truck. I've seen some laid down like that to fit lower.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:19 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like them in the grille.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 PM
notoes68

I agree with aubrey and dusty-duster, to put them on the grill then, it would be the best so that they don't get damaged or broken.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:34 PM
BIGRED97
Captain

yeah i like em up on the grille. i think anywhere else they would get broken. but thats a damn good looking bumper! very mean looking.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 PM
my1500.net
Rookie

Yes I like them in the grill the best & I determined today that the grill will not be affected by the heat. But here is a twist I also have a remote control Golight searchlight to mount as well & one of the best places that I can find for it is on top of the bumper on one side of the winch control box or the other which would put it in front of the fog lights if they were on the grill. My other choice would be to put the fog lights in the grill & put the Golight on top of the roof, I just didn't like the idea of drilling 5 holes on top of the cab.

Here is the searchlight: http://www.golight.com/

I have the shackles painted & will post some pics of the search light set in diff places tomorrow after I get back from the monster truck show ;-)

Old 03-22-2008, 05:03 PM
my1500.net
Rookie

Ok I came up with a solution for the way oversized shackle mounts, steel shaft collars with the set screw turned around & pointing out. I will see how they work out & in the future I will probably weld them in place or have a similar sleeve machined that would be a press fit & weld those in place.

I used 2 of them in each mount

Yes I use the pin type instead of the screw type for ease of use & because I can slip a small padlock in the end of the pin instead of the standard clip.

Here is what I have come up with for the light placement, there are a few options & I can't make up my mind so I need your help. I have a phobia of drilling the body which I will need to get over as I have a feeling where you guys/gals would put the lights.

The first is probably the best if I mount everything on the front end.

The second won't work very well because I need to mount the search light too far away from the winch to allow for use of the freespool handle & it will get very close to the drivers side fog light.

For the third option I would need to weld a raised platform from tubing & maybe a plate of aluminum to mount the light to.

The fourth option I have seen used so I included it here but I think as I am in California I am almost sure I would have problems with the local authorities for blocking my view eventhough sitting in the drivers seat it does not block much.

Ok here is what I think is the best setup if I can get over my phobia of body drilling, it would not block my grill/radiator any more than it is now, it would not limit access to the winch controls, it would allow for more coverage to the side & rear of the truck as the light rotates 360 degrees & pivots up & down 170 degrees. But it would not have any protection from hanging branches or parking garages.

I will be adding a large 8' roof rack to the camper shell laterwhich would limit the rear coverage of the light but if I mount it 1/3 of the way back on the roof the rack would offer the light some protection.

So let me know what you all think. When this stage is complete I will add a new page on my site for this project.

Thanks a bunch for your opinions & input I really appreciate it!

Old 03-22-2008, 07:51 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

oh no... please dont put it on the top of the truck. that white light, we call it a hog spotlight. Its good for spottin hogs, but shouldnt be left on the truck 24/7. just looks goofy

the bumper looks kick ***. where did you get the grille?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:07 PM
mikecjn
Professional

That's just damn nice...I agree, it totally changes the look of the truck. It has a 'no bull****' look to it now.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 PM
mikecjn
Professional

I agree with motorbreath on the spotlight.
I have a 2 marine grade ones that have a heavy duty magnet base. One is in my Dodge and one in my work truck. I am a lineman for our cable company so we use them quite a bit at night. I found they are less prone to breaking if kept in the truck and just put on top of the cab while using them. Some guys have them on their truck all the time and they either get cracked from rocks on the highway or covered in dead bugs that get baked on once you go to use it.
None of ours are remote controled though.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:48 AM
my1500.net
Rookie

Thanks guys.

The light is not a magnet mount it is a perm mount & it is hard wired to a control panel that mounts in side. I would paint it to match whatever I mount it on, on the bumper it would be charcoal hammer finish like the bumper, on top I have some of the silver that matches the truck. Either way it is a hard mount & won't be movin once I decide, well I could move it from the bumper but not from the top as it mounts with 4 screws & then there is a larger hole that the wiring passes through.

I think that I am decided on putting the fog lights in the grill though.

Quick Reply: Kennesaw Mountain Accessories winch bumper -dial up beware