2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Harmonic puller, what the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:41 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Harmonic puller, what the heck?

ORIGINAL: nolazach

Autozone did the same thing to me.

The Chrysler kit is for the mitsubishie/Chrysler engines and some of the newer ones. I brought it back for my $60, then they told me they were out of harmonic balancer kits. i went to Harbor Freight who had a complete kit with tons of different size bolts and tips for the kit It was $6.99. Can't beat it. I still rent tools from autozone, but lately I have been buying specialty tools from the harbor. I know its cheap, but its worth the low prices.
That's what I thought, I was looking at the thing and thought, "Man, this just isn't right." I'll take a pic of the AZ puller and post it for posterity in case anybody else gets tripped up in this in the future. Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy, nolazach!

The guys on the night shift are pretty good around here...

[IMG]local://upfiles/68540/946C7561D552414BB30A06AC5AB2F8CC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/68540/049F609F71A145D0A8366B102851B057.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/68540/876729FCA2094CA19C52FF8C4F84C0E7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

UPDATE:

Just got the right one from Autozone, I now know why they don't ever have them in stock... Model number 27019, not the previous 27139.
The correct rental puller costs the EXACT SAME AMOUNT to rent (deposit) as the one they sell (both OEM brand), except that is comes with a very nice carrying case. I watched the guy at the store cut the case open for the first time.

hmm...14.99+tax to purchase, no case, retail version or, 15.00 (deposit) plus very nice carrying case and it's they're HD version. What to do, what to do...[]

Old 03-20-2008, 03:33 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

the one they gave you is the one I needed for my 360... I think the 318 is different but am not 100% sure. the puller i used made it a piece of cake to remove...

Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm not quite up to date here, but is this for the harmonic balancer itself? Is that the piece by the timing chain? I wish I could find my haynes man, lol. If one of yall has a pic of what this puller is being used for, that'd be awesome.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

The vibration dampner is the rusty circular thing directly behind the crank pulley. It is a weight that's connected to the camshaft that balances the camshaft's weight and has a rubber layer in it to absorb the vibrations created by the lobes in your cam pumping up and down. It keeps the engine from bucking like a bronco when you drive it.

If you pull on the outside of the dampner, you'll rip the rubber layer and ruin the dampner and need a new one. The harmonic balancer puller pulls from the inside staright out so you don't break the dampner.

To my knowledge, harmonic balancer and vibration dampner are used interchangably

Think of it like a wine cork puller.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:29 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

ooo. Well I guess I don't need to worry about that for what I'm doing then.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

almost
It dampens the pulsations from the pistons firing. Your engine actually speeds up and slows down slightly between the cylinders firing. Without some kind of balancer your engine would shake terribly.

That first puller is for the later V8 engines and 4 cylinders. (neon, stratus, Pt cruiser, 4.7 V8) those long shafts in the kit are crank shaft inserts. On the listed engines the crank bolt is like 8 inches long. when you remove the bolt you stick the long shaft inside the crank and you press against the shaft, not the end of the crank.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:29 AM
heatherrogers

Hi. Is there any way you can explain how to use the 46-piece puller kit from JC WHITNEY? I'm trying to remove the crankshaft damper pully to get to the water pump, and having a hell of a time. Can you help??!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:34 AM
heatherrogers
Talking Please help!

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
mine looks exactly like rabbler's pic from JC. it bolts to the face of the balancer. if you have jaws, and they hook onto the "inner" section of the balancer, it will work ok. do NOT NOT NOT pull on the "outer" section. the 2 sections are divided by a rubber piece. it is possible to pull the outer piece off of the inner piece. i've done it and the result is having to buy a new/used balancer.

edit - on the picture above, put the crank bolt in the end of the shaft with free play. bolt the balancer arms to the face, with the bolts fully threaded in the balancer. put the big bolt into the center. line it all up and let the air gun push the center bolt in, which will pull the balancer off. watch the free play on the crank bolt. you may have to reposition.

it sounds like yours has arms to grab the inner section instead of bolts for the face.

aim, have you got a picture ?

Hi. Is there any way you can explain how to use the 46-piece puller kit from JC WHITNEY? I'm trying to remove the crankshaft damper pully to get to the water pump, and having a hell of a time. Can you help??!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:14 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You do not need to remove the crankshaft pulley to get to the WP.

Quick Reply: Harmonic puller, what the heck?