2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pacesetter Long Tubes and Y Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 PM
SoCal_Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pacesetter Long Tubes and Y Pipe?

Thanks for the info. I didn't put it in my signature but I have a Magnaflow CB already.

Am I correct in that I need to make some adjustments (for proper fit) to my rear 02 sensors if I go with an aftermarket header/y pipe set-up?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you go by 'honest' testers
a set of headers gives something like a 3% gain
when used with aftermarket mufflers and even 'high flow' catalytic converters,
but this can go up to the 5 to 7% hp gain level
with very low backpressure systems that are well designed

honest test on a 5.9V8
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...ust/index.html

honest test without mufflers or cats on a 5.7 V8
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...emi/index.html

as a second opinion
in their official press release on the 6.1 Hemi V8
Chrysler only claimed a 12 hp gain
for the special headers on the versus 5.7 cast iron manifolds

Old 03-25-2008, 11:12 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Dont look for exhaust to change the world.That being said, I have had no issues with my pacesetters. I cant say about the Y pipe, because I dont have one. My headers have never givin me a leak issue, a rust issue, or any thing else you could think of. They have kept their lustre far longer than I had expected, and only lost it as a result of the fire I had. Stock exhaust on my truck, I went 15.7, just exhaust change I went 15.43 as a best. So, there ya have it. No articles, no seat of the pants dyno, just real world results.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:46 PM
tj1320
Professional

If any of you guys have a 4WD truck with Pacesetter LTs, did you have fitment issues on the driver's side header? I had to take my front driveshaft off because the collector on the header sticks out too far to put the driveshaft on. I already contacted Pacesetter so I hope they cooperate and send me one that fits. Its not like I had the incorrect part or anything though. The 4WD is 70-2213 and the 2WD is 70-2212 or something like that.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 PM
ron333
Captain

I didn't have any problem with mine at all. I had to ease it down and jimmy it around a bit, but it eventually fit right in place. I removed the plug wires, and that was about it if memory serves me correctly. Keep in mind that my truck has a 3" body lift on it, so that may have played a part in making it so easy, I don't know for sure.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't give any input on the ease of installation or how many things must be fabricated to make Pacesetter LT's fit your 2nd gens.
I can say that I've installed and helped guys install a couple of sets of headers on 3rd gen 1500's. One was a VERY expensive brand and the other was on par with the Pacesetters. I found the fitment and ease of installation was actually much better with the more expensive set.
On the 3rd gen Hemi, it's the easiest install I've ever done, by far. Everything is right there, and by simply removing the well liners you can get to everything from the wheel wells.
I chose Pacesetters on the recommendation of the guys at KRC Performance. Contrary to some things I've read, the Pacesetter's welds were perfectly fine and aside from having to hit one bolt hole a touch with a dremmel, everything lined up perfectly. I think the quality of the product is right there with the much more expensive headers. The only real negative is that the gaskets are crap. I set aside a Sunday to do mine and was too impatient to wait till I could get a better one. When it goes, I'll get a Mopar gasket and replace it. No problems with it after about nine months and six thousand miles, however.
I pretty much fabbed mine myself from the headers on back, retaining/reusing what I could including the cats (which had to be moved back about 18" and the rear O2 sensor wires had to be extended the same). Picked up a short "Y" pipe from the local Meineke and welded it in place just before my existing Flowmaster 50HD.
I think if you decide to go with Long Tube Headers, the Pacesetters are a solid choice, as good in quality as headers costing twice as much. Yes, you will need some sort of "Y" pipe to tie them in.
Good luck in whatever way you choose to go...

Old 05-28-2008, 10:35 AM
tj1320
Professional

ORIGINAL: ron333

I didn't have any problem with mine at all. I had to ease it down and jimmy it around a bit, but it eventually fit right in place. I removed the plug wires, and that was about it if memory serves me correctly. Keep in mind that my truck has a 3" body lift on it, so that may have played a part in making it so easy, I don't know for sure.
Yeah, my friend that put them on said that a 1-3" lift (can't remember if he said body or suspension)would take care of the problem but I don't have that kind of money right now. I would almost rather get a large hammer and cave part of the collector in. I hate doing that to my new headers but I want to be able to use my 4WD if I need or want to.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Long Tubes and Y Pipe?