2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heat vent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:43 PM
owens2500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat vent?

does any 1 know y my heat is blowing out of my defrost vents when the switch is on face and every other postion

Old 03-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Tarner
Professional
Default RE: heat vent?

I think that would be a bad vacuum line somewhere.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a vacuum leak. Usually from one of two possible places: 1) vacuum line going to cruise control unit mounted under your battery, or 2) one of the vacuum check valves from the intake coming from the intake manifold. When you have a vacuum leak, it defaults to defroster mode. I've had leaks from both of these places. Easy to check; remove the cruise control vacuum line where it "T's" off from the intake manifold and plug the line(not the cruise control line - thehole you left in the "T" when you disconnected the cruise control line)with a golf tee and drive it. If it fixes itself, the leak is somewhere betweenthe "T"and the cruise control module under the battery (the plastic tubing likes to crack there - replace it with some rubber tubing). If you drive it and it still blows out the defrost, reconnect the cruise control line and go to the Dodge dealer and ask for one (or two, depending on how many you have) vacuum check valves and replace them. They're about $6.00 each - make sure they're small like the ones on the truck. Most of the time it is one of these two issues causing your problem, and it's cheap to fix. I have a 96 1500 5.2 and have two vacuum check valves - I replaced them both this last time and no more switching to defrost when I stepped on the gas. I hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 PM
owens2500
Rookie

is the "T" at the back of the motor hangin on the passenger side of the intake? if so i think i broke a little plastic tube off from runnin into the truck looked like so im guessin thats the leak if thats the "T" ur talkin about???

Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(at least on my 1996 5.2 engine) on the passenger side of the intake manifold there's a small vacuum line that soon after it comes out it "T's" (more like a "Y" actually) with the branch going to the cruise control (if you have cruise control). On the non-cruise control line near the "T" is the first vacuum check valve. It's small, disc shaped and about the diameter of a nickel or quarter. There's also supposed to be another check valve further down the vacuum line. If you have an obvious vacuum leak, fix that first and see if that solves your problem.

Quick Reply: heat vent?