2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake Manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:50 PM
bnavakian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold question

I need to repair my intake manifold gasket again....

'98 ram 5.2L 4x4 stock - Mopar performance computer after death flash.

My question is;

Do I repair the manifold gasket again, keeping the stock manifold - I'm considering the Plenum reinforcement kit from Hughes

Or

Do I replace the manifold?

My goal is Gas mileage, then performance.

You guys always have the answers - So, what is your suggestion????

Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Intake Manifold question

I originally thought I'd go with the M1 when the time came but then decided the APS just made for sense. Hughes is another option. The reason I idn't get the M1 was that its said any pwer gains are around 6500rpms. I never rev my truck that high and even have the rev limiter lower than that. The M1 is a lot of money for somehing I wouldn't see much of a gain from.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Stick with the stock manifold.. just upgrade the plenum pan to either Hughes or APS. Unless your doing some serious mods and upgrades.. the stock manifold does well.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just grind the runners down on the stock manifold and expand the injector ports. you'll get a little boost from that.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:57 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

The M1 rocks from 2k up. To take full advantage of the added power/torque you will need a flash. Otherwise you will be lean at wot everywhere, and you will shift before the motor runs out of power. Keep in mind that the rated stall on the stock converter is 1.8k, so, if you are a perfectionist, you will have a dead spot for ~200 rpms. It will be noticebable, but inconsequential as far as 0-60 time or 1/4 mile time goes. Maybe a 1/10 here or there. Aside from the added cost of the tune, pluses are that; 1) you never have to worry about the plenum disaster again, and, 2) the M1 will supply all the air needed for any future mods you might be considering, i.e. heads, cam , 408, induction, etc. The main thing is tuning. If you slap an M1, exhaust, cam, bigger ratio rr's, or anything else on with no way to tune fuel delivery or timing, then your results will -almost- certainly vary from the next guy's. I don't know how idle or wot would do with the Mopar Performance pcm. You may want to call and ask. They're # is 1-888-528-4364

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold question