2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fastman TB

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastman TB

Ok...I'm seeing all these post and mods with people changing their throttle body....

Can someone tell me the advantages in doing do? I see Fastman is really popular. If I did replace what would be recommended and why?? Im assuming the 52mm or 55mm is just an overkill for what I would need it, right?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional
Default RE: Fastman TB

I havent seen the 55.. but.. from what I have learned.. the 53 is for performance builds.. very high RPM's.. I run the 52.. and its a great improvement.. especially right off idle.. when i touch the throttle.. it responds.. I get pull all the way through mid range band as well.. I did the fastman 52MM.. along with headers, exhaust.. high flow cat....3" pipes all the way back, and still have the damn K&N... the fastman was a very good " bang for the buck" mod.. I highly recommend it.. only issues.. after the install... my idle is alittle high.. ( around 900.. ) and my idle is varying a bit.. but.. I did clean the IAC, and re-used the TPS and MAP.. so. I may have messed up the IAC.. or maybe the fastman is bringinjg out my blown plenum vacuum leak more.. but either way.. the TB replacement is one of my absolute NO regrets Mods...

I need to add.. one of the best things about mods like this are.. the more efficiently your motor can pull its own weight.. the better I belive the MPG will be...and with the fastman mod.. I am barely touching the throttle to do what it took more throttle to do before...I cruise around 40 - 50 most of the time to go back and forth to work.. with the new TB.. I am barely off idle cruising back and forth..plus more power in the mid range when I need to pull a hill alittle.. hope this helped..

Old 03-29-2008, 03:17 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

I am stil learning how getting the TB mod improves the truck...but from what I hear once I replace the intake and exhaust I will move onto the TB....should I go for the 55? Gentlemen your comments?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

too much air is just as bad as too little if your truck's build doesn't match the various mods.

a 55mm TB would be way too much for just about any natural aspirated engine. If you're running some sort of large boost, you might want a 55mm, but not for a DD.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Go with the 52....anything above that is for seriously worked performance applications....what intake are you changing to? Your stock intake will do the job...again..going to like an M1 or similar is expensive.. and for a DD... you wont see huge gains..unless you really run it hard....[8D]theres a mod for stock intakes if you want to try that..

Old 03-29-2008, 09:50 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

ORIGINAL: Blaydrnnnr

Go with the 52....anything above that is for seriously worked performance applications....what intake are you changing to? Your stock intake will do the job...again..going to like an M1 or similar is expensive.. and for a DD... you wont see huge gains..unless you really run it hard....[8D]theres a mod for stock intakes if you want to try that..
+1 on the 52mm. Your engine, unless you get into a whole lot of serious performance upgrades, will never require anything larger. I have a heavily modded 5.9 and only run the Fastman 50mm. The 50 allows my engine to stay lower in the torque range for pulling my fifth wheel. Like aim4squirrels stated, too much air is just as bad as too little air.

Quick Reply: Fastman TB