2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tailgate problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:35 AM
diesel04
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tailgate problem

have an 02 cummins (2nd gen). when i let the tailgate down and go to put it up right away it will not close it jsut hits and flies back at you. wait about 30 seconds or so and its fine. but when i open it it doesnt take much handle leverageto open. i had sandbags for weight in it at begginning of winter, and one night did went up a huge hill and heard them slam against the back, kinda wondered if that did it....any suggestions on how to fix? already sprayed the locking mechanisms with lube and stuff. thanks alot

Old 03-29-2008, 01:29 PM
shawnsack
Rookie
Default RE: tailgate problem

i have a tailgate that i kinda did the same thing... when you go to close it look and see where its hittin. im betting when the sand bags slid back the bent the hinges just enough that the lock mechanism is hitting the lock on the bed and if thats the case then you may need to find a way to line up the locks again...

Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional
Default RE: tailgate problem

Look at the hinges there is a small tab there that is spring loaded. If they arent pushed twoads the bottom of the tailgate it wont latch. I have to manually move them overtime i go to close my tailgate. They might be sticky.

Quick Reply: tailgate problem