2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil light

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:56 PM
engineblock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light

When i bought the truck the oil gauge would go all the way down and the oil light would turn on. Well i replace the oil sensor and i fixed the problem, then yesterday i noticed that the light came back on and i checked on the oil and it was low. So i did oil change, added a new filter and 5 quarts of oil and when i came down of the highway ram to the stop light the light came back on. Well i kept driving because when i step on the pedal the light goes off. When i got to the house i put it on park and the light went off then when i put it in reverse or drive the light comes on and on turns off when the truck is moving or when i have it in Park or neutral.

Can anybody tell me whats going on i think it might be the oil pump but i think that if it is bad the light would turn on wheter moving or not.

Oh Yea the oil gauge does not go down any more.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil light

Sounds like to me your issue isn't whether the truck is in gear or not, but how low the RPM's are. When you put it in gear, the engine does go down a little in RPM's from when it's not in gear.

Since your oil gauge is no longer dropping to zero at the same time the light is coming on, I'd recommend doing a couple things before pulling the oil pump.

First, with the coil wire disconnected, pull you oil pressure sending unit and turn the engine over enough to push some oil out of the sender hole. Not enough to make a big mess, but enough to clean any crap that could be causing your sensor to provide faulty readings to your computer.

Second, temporarily install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and drive the truck some to see how the gauge reacts to different situations. If it maintains good pressure, then I'd say your issue is with the sending unitclogged oil passage. Doing this will cause a CEL to come on, but by watching the mechanical gauge you'll know for certain whether there's a problem or not.

If the oil pressure gets real low when you're in gear at idle, then you probably do need a new oil pump, or may just have a clogged pickup screen. A new Melling High Volume pump and pickup screen is less than $75 and the oil pan can be dropped without raising the engine. Pull the starter, trasmisison dust shield,and transmission brace and the pan should come off. Only two bolts hold the oil pump in place. When installing the new one, make sure that it is absolutely flush with the block mount or you'll crack it for sure. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. It's not something that you want to do.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Oil light