2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heater core update must see!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 PM
towguy2007
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater core update must see!!

I just did the heater core in my "99 dodge ram and the DIY thread was missing a few instructions, found very helpful. saved me a ton of money and can be done in 3 hrs or less. as you will see all of it the same had to add to number 4 and 6. please take care with anything that has to do with the air bag.
1) disconnect battery cable

2) remove first screw on your door sill both sides (these are the peices that hold the carpet down)

3) remove kick panels and panel under steering wheel.

4) Remove two nuts holding up steering wheel (goes much easier if you pull the steering column out)

5) remove 5 screws where dash meets the windshield

6) remove 2 bolts on the left and right side of the dash up against the side of the truck under kick panels. (note: if the dodge is '99 or newer uner the dash in the middle there is a black panel, you must remove the 2 bolts with it to remove the dash board other wise the dash board will not come off. please take care as this is the air bag module.)

7) Dash board can now be pulled free toward seat.

8) on passenger side of the dash tie rop or wire to flange where bolt went into side of the truck and lift dash up to expose fan box. secure rop to hanle on side of A-post.

9) remove vaccum lines and unclip electrical connections. (hint: temperature control cable has to be removed with pliers by pulling straight up, removing the entire clip)

10) now the secret: there are two screws holding the box to the firewall on the inside (one has ground wire attached) the other is in the upper right hand corner facing up.

11) there are 4 nuts holding it from the engine side of the firewall (one nut is accessed by removing the elctrical panel on passenger side) remove all 4 nuts.

12) remove heater hoses by removing clamps. (I also had to cut my hoses as well)

13) release A/C freon from LP side with gags and disconnect A/C lines from firewall exit. (this requiers a simple 5 dollar tool that disconnects fuel and A/C connections.

14) the heater box will now come free

15) there are several screws holding heater box together. it will cme apart in two halfs. go ahead and change your heater core.

16) you may want to replace your accumulator as well (it's fairly cheap)

17) reassemble/reinstall box. draw vaccume on A/C system for 30 mins recharge with 134a.

Quick Reply: heater core update must see!!