2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Pictures & Other Goods

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:45 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Pictures & Other Goods

ORIGINAL: 01DodgeRam360

Well went with the K&N set-up for a couple of reasons. For one, their horsepower ratings are 11hp on a stock 360. Granted I have headers and a full exhaust, I suspect the h/p ratings will reach higher numbers.
I pray you dont believe that for a second.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

Well went with the K&N set-up for a couple of reasons. For one, their horsepower ratings are 11hp on a stock 360. Granted I have headers and a full exhaust, I suspect the h/p ratings will reach higher numbers.
I think he does [X(]

Btw, that is a huge tranny cooler.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

I hate to say it but I think he does too. Atleast it seems like it. I bet you get maybe 3hp if that out of it. lol.

I think he does [X(]

Btw, that is a huge tranny cooler.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

For a 30$ you could of had the round air-filter.....I hope you are installing it yourself

Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

well it looks like you finally did somethin yourself on the truck neon. were the cupholders hard to install?

Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

hahahaa ouch

Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude... I highly doubt you are going to get 11 hp out of a CAI on our trucks, even after you combine it with the headers/exhaust. They can show me all the charts in the world, until I actually see it on the dyno (and/or attested to by a good, trusted mechanic), I don't believe the hype, and neither should you. Will it help with throttle response? Sure it will! Will it give you a few extra ponies? Sure! But so would the round air intake. Its mostly the fact that you are using a bigger filter, which if thats all you want, $30 is a lot better than $200-$300.

I also just like the K&N name, they sell the most for a reason. Their new intakes also don't have the cracked tubed issue anymore, so I just went with it.
I also heard they had fixed the cracked tube issue, but thats not what I am concerned about. The K&N name is good, don't get me wrong, and in some cars they work wonders. Until recently (gonna try Wix), I have been using nothing but K&N oil filters. But in our trucks, you are better going with an enclosed CAI, ram air kit, or open element. The K&N in our trucks is not enclosed, it still sucks up hot engine air (that "heat shield" doesn't do much), and so doesn't actually serve the purpose of a CAI. Therefore, you are getting the benefits of a bigger filter/air cleaner, thats it. Its not any colder than if you had an open element.

I used to be a huge K&N fan, wouldn't have gone any other way. Then I looked at all the info this site has to offer, by so many experienced do-it-yourselfers. The ones that backed it up with actual facts/reasons/explanations were the best help, and they showed me that sometimes, many times, the CAI thing is just a myth.

I was going to go with the volant, but I don't know, was too expensive for a name I didn't know much about. I'll let you know how it works out though, I'm excited to get something pushing into the engine, should really start to open the beast up, plus look really good in the engine bay[8D]
Too expensive? From the sites I'm looking at, the price difference between the K&N and Volant kits are about $20. $20 more for a full enclosed kit that pulls air from outside the engine bay? You bet. If you choose the K&N, no offense dude, but you just wasted a pot load of money when you could have got something that works better (open element) for less than 25% of the cost. If you haven't installed it yet, I would see if you could return it and get either a Volant kit or the open element.

This is all my opinion. Just don't like to see ya waste money when ya have that big tranny loan to pay off. If you want to actually see this explained in depth/great detail, look up that famous thread "K&N FIPK No More".

(EDITED for typos/misspellings.)

Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: jason.w

I also just like the K&N name, they sell the most for a reason. Their new intakes also don't have the cracked tubed issue anymore, so I just went with it.
ORIGINAL: jason.w
I also heard they had fixed the cracked tube issue, but thats not what I am concerned about. The K&N name is good, don't get me wrong, and in some cars they work wonders. Until recently (gonna try Wix), I have been using nothing but K&N oil filters. But in our trucks, you are better going with an enclosed CAI, ram air kit, or open element. The K&N in our trucks is not enclosed, it still sucks up hot engine air (that "heat shield" doesn't do much), and so doesn't actually serve the purpose of a CAI. Therefore, you are getting the benefits of a bigger filter/air cleaner, thats it. Its not any colder than if you had an open element.

I used to be a huge K&N fan, wouldn't have gone any other way. Then I looked at all the info this site has to offer, by so many experienced do-it-yourselfers. The ones that backed it up with actual facts/reasons/explanations were the best help, and they showed me that sometimes, many times, the CAI thing is just a myth.

There is only one product that gives k&n any reason to exist, and thats their round filters. All their other products just pray on ignorant people, and they do a GREAT job of it.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:44 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I don't know why their product is ignornant Indy? I don't think the air hat will flow any better than the K&N kit. I mean, the filter literally sits on top of the engine, I think both will be equal in power...

Did I mention I got the kit for $75??? It was cheaper to buy the complete kit on ebay than it was to do the airhat. The kit I bought is from a person who sold their truck, and the new owner didn't want the intake on the truck. It's practically new, so I just knew it was the best time to grab it while it was incredibly cheap. I think the truck will react nicely to the intake. The truck has a ton of air leaving the truck, and has a ton of power. With the combination of the nice kit, and the Fastman, I think it will yield a really nice punch. I don't know why I'm considered ignornant for going with their kit as opposed to doing the airhat? I mean it's just cold air intake, I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal about it. It's better than that stock airbox, and I've been wanting an intake since I had the truck. Some like the airhat, some like kits, I think both don't make any crazy numbers, but an intake is an intake, no biggy.

In regards to the plenum, I don't think I have a leak. I've been driving the truck around for the past couple of days, and I've gotten my miles back up to 11+mpg. I've really just been trying to enjoy my truck. I'm not really in a rush to start digging into any deep projects. So I did the bedliner and the intake kit for some serenity lol. It's just nice having the truck back, she's running great and looking good too. Anyway, I just couldn't pass up the intake. I managed to get the seller to bring it down from $150 to $75, was a great price, and I'm excited to get her installed!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:57 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

I don't know why their product is ignornant Indy? I don't think the air hat will flow any better than the K&N kit. I mean, the filter literally sits on top of the engine, I think both will be equal in power...

Did I mention I got the kit for $75??? It was cheaper to buy the complete kit on ebay than it was to do the airhat. The kit I bought is from a person who sold their truck, and the new owner didn't want the intake on the truck. It's practically new, so I just knew it was the best time to grab it while it was incredibly cheap. I think the truck will react nicely to the intake. The truck has a ton of air leaving the truck, and has a ton of power. With the combination of the nice kit, and the Fastman, I think it will yield a really nice punch. I don't know why I'm considered ignornant for going with their kit as opposed to doing the airhat?

Indy, you got to choose what angle you want to come from. You just got done helping me out through PMs. I went out on a limb to try and rebond our relationship, and I think it worked nicely. Then you call me ignortant for going with a K&N kit? It's just not very nice. I also got it cheap too, you can't beat that. I just personally don't like the look of the air hat, nor like the fact it sits on top of the engine...I mean, how can that be any better than the filter being closer to the radiator? I don't think either intake yields significant horsepower, but I sure as hell do think it's going to be a nice addition to the truck.

In regards to the plenum, I don't think I have a leak. I've been driving the truck around for the past couple of days, and I've gotten my miles back up to 11+mpg. I've really just been trying to enjoy my truck. I'm not really in a rush to start digging into any deep projects. So I did the bedliner and the intake kit for some serenity lol. It's just nice having the truck back, she's running great and looking good too. Anyway, I just couldn't pass up the intake. I managed to get the seller to bring it down from $150 to $75, was a great price, and I'm excited to get her installed!
lol. first off, you came to me looking for help. I never said i was cool with you, just that Im not a jackass like you say I am so I helped you... Im not your buddy nor will I ever be, I doubt. I will help if you ask nicely though, which you did. Second, your blowing it into somethingI didnt say. I never called you ignorant, which by all rights you are. Thats not an insult its just the truth. You can be upset over that if you want, but I wont move from my oppinion. K&N sells theirgarbage to ignorant people, as do all "CAI" companys. (with exceptions which I have stated in previous posts reguarding "CAI's"). Will the K&N be better than the stock filter box, sure, why not...is it $250, $180, $75 better...hell no. PLENTY of better things to do with the money. If your getting it for looks, thats fine we all have our tastes (thats certiantly not my personal preferance), but dont think for a second your getting the advertised claims. ONTOP of that, the advertised clams IF EVER proven true is not a GAIN in power, its just power freed up. That 11 horse "gain" was more than likely a truck that was in poor condition, a filter that was clogged with leaves and other debris. They probably cleaned it up and ran it and OMG 11 hp! WOW!

Quick Reply: Transmission Pictures & Other Goods