2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Flow???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:04 PM
nater_660
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Flow???

I just gutted the cat in my truck seeing that it was rattleing around and restricting exhaust flow,I had it straight piped b4 and now I put a muffler on it to retain some of the back pressur, but its definatley not loud enough for me, its actually quiet, I know my options are to get like a flowmaster or something, but im a full time student and can hardly pay for gas to get to my part time job. So im wondering if i straight pipe it again will i lose way too much back pressure and lose low end and mileage? If anyone has any ideas about what i could do for cheap id like to know thanks.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Flow???

Do you just have the stock exhaust pipe diameter size or...?

EDIT: If you are a college student with little money and can't afford your gas, why do you own two gas guzzling pickups (according to your sig)? [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 04-03-2008, 11:28 PM
nater_660

its stock size exhaust, well the hemi is my dads but i put quite a few miles on it, i own my 95 because i got an excellent deal on it. Had a 93 dakota before the v8 and it got bout same mileage so i didnt have much to lose. I just dont wanna spend too much money on the truck because it isnt worth that much. so thanks for the reply so far, do you think it would be ok with stock size pipe or not?

Old 04-04-2008, 04:17 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

If its 2.25 or 2.5 inches in size like I think it is, no, thats restrictive.

From what I've read, the 5.9L V8 breathes best with either dual 2.25/2.5 inchers or a single 3/3.5 inch exhaust pipe. Personally, I think the best choices are either dual 2.25" or single 3", but some here would disagree. Anything less and you're too restrictive, anything more and you'll lose bottom end due to loss of back pressure.

A good stainless steel custom cat-back system is gonna cost ya about $300-$400, unless you have a friend or something that does exhaust and will give you a discount.

Like someone said in an earlier thread... if you can't afford the mod, don't do it. The stock tail pipe is OK, just not the best.

Your next and cheapest mod, IMO, would be a round 14x3 air cleaner. Cost ya less than $50 unless you want the really nice K&N round filter to go with it (that'll run ya more than the air cleaner assembly, but it is a very good filter). Help your truck breath a lot better. Won't help your MPGs any, probably, but you'll definitely feel a difference in the acceleration.

Search the forum here, you'll find a DIY for it.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:43 AM
nater_660

Thanks for info so far, yeah i got the 14x3 air cleaner and i figure that im going to try the straight pipe and see what the results are, like mpgs and power gains if any. I know if I cant afford the mod i shouldnt do it, but im not going to put 300 into the truck for an exhaust when i paid 750 for it and it has 218,000 on it with a tranny thats hanging in there and the drivers side door and rocker panel are rotting out(to me its not worth it) now some day if i get a truck like you Jason then it would definatley be worth it. thanks for your advice

Old 04-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Shawn86
Professional

In the condition your truck sounds like its in, its costing you more money than its making! Save your cash for a down deposit on someting a better. If it runs fine right now, leave it alone!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:12 PM
nater_660

Well its not terrible i have driven alot worse, the truck doesnt cost me hardly anything the truck has been a really good truck but gas now thats another topic [:@], yeha once i get a full time job i will start saving but I might as well drive the truck till its dead.I wouldnt be spending any money on the straight pipe seeing the old one i have would fit, it runs awesome but I miss that mean v-8 sound it had, I mean who doesnt love that sound

Quick Reply: Exhaust Flow???