2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM
tazman6789
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust leak

alright so trucks been getting little bit loud latly yes i know can never be too loud, but i dont like the sound of an exhaust leak vs an actuall exhaust. Attached is a picture of where the leak is comming from. called the parts store they say there isnt a gasket in there to be replaced. Is it just a metal on metal fit? if so what do i have as far as options for a repair, am i looking at a new set of headers to fix? or to i have to replace the Y pipe or both? trying to do this CHEAP as possible. If i have to buy headers what decent not super expensive headers should i get? its a 2000 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 **** EDIT**** appon closer inspection the bolt is messed up, the bolt jiggles around went to tighten it town and the bolt spins along with the nut. Did the header bolt snap or strip? how do i repair that?

[IMG]local://upfiles/55857/25B28EC9333A472B885AC4476A64D465.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Houston4x4
Rookie
Default RE: exhaust leak

Wow. if that's the collector on a set of headers, they were just the painted ones. You really get what you pay for on headers.

If it's just the gasket then that should be an easy fix. and cheap. Probably need new bolts too. I don't suggest you buy another set of cheap headers. Either keep what you have, put the stock exhaust manifolds back on, or invest in some better headers. IE, pacesetter long tubes, edelbrock, or gibson. I'd add Hedman to that list but I'm not sure they make headers for our trucks.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:30 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a stock manifold , replace the stock manifold is cheaper then going with headers , headers start at 389.00 on up to 900 , vrs 100 dollar to replace the stock , and NO there is no gasket , its shape like a donut and thats how it keeps sealed . as long as it is leaking on the manifold side no need to replace the Y pipe but the bolts yes as i can see them just breaking apart..

Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Houston4x4
Rookie

If you can't unbolt it, you might have to cut the bolts off. Use a sawzall or a cut off tool.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Houston4x4

If you can't unbolt it, you might have to cut the bolts off. Use a sawzall or a cut off tool.
...and it's a real ****. People will be scared to come near you. Wear safety goggles, or risk looking like the biggest stoner in your town for several days. If you in fact need to replace the stock manifolds, let me know. I have a set taking up room in the shop. It's probably the tail pipe that's rusted at the joint.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

They are factory manifolds. The bolts are def stripped so i think they may have came loose and thats why its leaking. Only prob i see is getting to the back bolt with a cut off tool to cut the bolt off. Cause i was just gonna cut the bolts off run a drill through there get the stud out of the way and run new bolts in. Are those just plain ol bolts to be replaced or do i need some special bolt? Feels like the top of the bolt in there now is just round dosnt feel like its got a normal bolt on it prob suppose to be attached to the manifold? I know a few cheap muffler shops around town may just pay them the 60 bucks or so and just say fix it cause i dont wanna mess with it.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:00 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There just your regular bolts i think grade 8 , can be found at any hardware store ... if you got an impact try that on the back bolt that will break it off..

Old 04-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

yea.. theyre just regular grade 8...I just took my manifolds off and did headers not long ago.. theres no gasket... some exhaust guys like to use ultra copper on the rounded ( or donught ) side before clamping them together.. the mounting surface of theY can get bent if the bolts are way over torqued....I had a box wrench that I put over the head of the bolt ontop.. then used my ratchet with a swivel extension on the bottom nut.. turned till the wrench rested against the body or filter.. then broke it loose...( soaked it for 4 or 5 days after it cooled down after work withrust buster...)if yours is stripped.. ( the nuts turning....) then its cut off time...

Also... there are flanges you can buy that sit under the bolt head when you put it back together.. these make sure that if you need to remove it again in the future.. the bolt wont spin when you loosen it by turning till the flange hits the pipe ..there by holding the bolt as you loosen the nut.. almost every hard to get to bolt on my truck has them.. a true god send!!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:27 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

blaydnnnr do u have a pic of those flanges u were talking about or a link where i can buy them?

Old 04-11-2008, 05:08 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

yeah ....... *** UPDATE**** so attempted to fix this problem today. Cant get a sawzaw in there, cant get any sort of cut off tool in there that i have. So i figure f*ck it ill cut the bolt head off... all sounds ducky... cut the bolt head off... try to pull the nut out and nothing its even more solid than befor. Apon further inspection notice that the bolt head melted down the bolt and now seased itself in there. So take the torch back out stick it down the hole and burn the bolt out... same thing happens again cept now its sealed itself to the exhaust instead of the manifold... now calling it quits and taking it to a shop... cant get a drill down the hole to drill it out, dont feel like getting a spark shower to cut the bottom bolt off... F it someone else can deal with it i fought with it for 2 hours and im pissed off and done.

Quick Reply: exhaust leak