2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent Transmission Hesitation in 3rd & 4th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:46 AM
rmwarriner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Transmission Hesitation in 3rd & 4th Gear

I tried searching for information on this without luck, might have been using wrong keywords. If there is a post that addresses this issue please point me to it.

Anyway, here is the problem:
When accelerating in 3rd and 4th gear I can feel hesitation (or "hiccup") in the transmission. I don't believe the problem lies in the engine because when I have my hand on the shifter I can actually feel it. It seems to be intermittent, mostly occuring when the engine/trans is relatively cold (or been sitting in a parking lot for a few hours). However it does occationally occur after warm up. The frequency of it seems to be slowly increasing though so I am beginning to wonder if a more serious problem exists (i.e. its not a fluke).

Recent work:
I recently had a problem with 1st gear jumping out due to worn-out syncros. So I had a trans. shop replace first gear and 1-2 syncro assembly. I also had a new clutch kit installed and had the flywheel ground.

Background:
* 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
* 5.2L engine
* NV3500 4x4 5-speed Trans
* 120K miles

I hope someone has ideas/thoughts on this or can point me to some relevant information.

Thanks

Robert

Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Intermittent Transmission Hesitation in 3rd & 4th Gear

you can feel alot through the shifter. something that you think may be tranny related is not tranny related at all.

when you feel this hiccup, how hard are you on the throttle.

now, if you think it may be actualy in the tranny, the only thing I can think of would be a shift fork is not possitioned properly and catching a syncro

Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
rmwarriner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About moderately highon the throttle, accelerating from dead-stop on hills. It has also happened while cruising up a fairly long, slight grade.In some cases the hesitation happens several (4 or more)times in rapid succession, other times only once or twice.

I realize it may not be the tranny, that happened to be the most obvious (aside from the hesitation) symptom. Its why I asked...

Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be curious about vacuum leaks, a spark plug that has dropped the center electrode, or a wire that does not have good conductivity.

going to move this to the 2nd gen section. I'm sure someone there may have a better idea.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Transmission Hesitation in 3rd & 4th Gear