2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How Often Do You Change Your Tranny Fluid & Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Red_1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Often Do You Change Your Tranny Fluid & Filter?

It's no secret that 2nd gen Ram's have many known problems with their tranny's. Just curious at what interval everyone changed their fluid and filter and if you adjusted your bands when you did it?

I do mine every 20k with ATF +3 Fluid and always adjust both bands.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:20 AM
banwhalen
Rookie
Default RE: How Often Do You Change Your Tranny Fluid & Filter?

You seem to be on top of it. Aside from not using the overdrive unless you are on the highway. Sounds to me like you are doing everything right.

I change mine every 2 years, as the truck has been demoted to my second vehicle now, so time is the marker for moi.

The overdrive is the failure point from what I have gathered over the years. I have a 98 Ram 1500 I bought new in Oct 97 (one of the first quad's to come off the line based on the number of back door adjustments I went through). I only use the overdrive on the highway and run 93 octane. She humps for a stock truck, especially with o/d off.

keep on doing what you are and you should be fine.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:29 AM
doziersdodge
Professional

Check at your local dodge dealer. I was told by them that they have changed the fluid from ATF +3 to ATF+4. Due to all the problems with the trans. I have a 97 with about 92000. I have changed it 3 times. I also have a trans cooler and a remote trans filter with the temp gauge. I have adjusted the bands once...I did not like the way it rode after that. I plan on changing it again at 100000 miles.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:42 AM
banwhalen
Rookie

I was told and read somewhere that you should not use the ATF + 4 in the truck if it did not come with it. Stay with type 3.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:45 AM
doziersdodge
Professional

Thanks for the tip. I visited them to get some fluid for my Durango and that is when they approached me about this. That is what ticks me off about Dodge. They wait until the last minute to change things. Anyway I haven't used the +4 yet. And I have not had any problems with the +3.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Fiddle Player
Champion

I had my tranny done twice since I've owned it. My manual said to check it every 30K

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Change Your Tranny Fluid & Filter?