2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What kind of headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:54 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What kind of headers?

Im going with the long tubes , just gotta figure out which way im gonna go with the piping.. even tho i run shorties right now i dont like how the pipe wrapes up and around on the driverside. limits how the plug wire can hang , and im not into running the wires over the valve cover and cover up the mopar magnum valve covers..

Old 04-15-2008, 12:21 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

headers is the first step twards performance, reguardless of what some think.
To me there is only one kind of header. Thats the "longtube" header. Shorty headers are only made for space restrictions and turbo'd apps. It boggles me as to why anyone gets them if they dont fall into those catigories.
When I added Eddy TES headers (shorties) back in spring of 97 as my 2nd mod, no long tubes were availablbe.GSMotorsports was first with long tubes think back in 03/04. Cost was double the avg shorty and they fit like crap. Helped HP Indy install his, what a PITFA. We pryed them, bashed the frame, ground off 1/2 of the drivers side flange & in the end got someone to notch out and pocket the frame to give enough clearance. Needed a torque strap from the crossmember to motor so they wouldnt get knocked off on drivers side.
I sat of the fence fora while till hearing the Pacesetters were good before ordering a set.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
CySlyde
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had full pacesetter exhausts before and never thought they were any worse than any other options out there. fact I thought they were a pretty well made product

Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

But I talked to a guy that said he had a buddy whose mother's sister's cousin bought a set of Pacesetter painted headers and they rusted. What's up with dat?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:56 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Indys is this the long tube you have or suggest?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Paces...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-15-2008, 10:13 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Those are just the painted ones.

These, I believe, are the ceramic ones that you should want, if any.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-01...9483QQtcZphoto

EDIT: Indy, correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:29 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

headers is the first step twards performance, reguardless of what some think.
To me there is only one kind of header. Thats the "longtube" header. Shorty headers are only made for space restrictions and turbo'd apps. It boggles me as to why anyone gets them if they dont fall into those catigories.
When I added Eddy TES headers (shorties) back in spring of 97 as my 2nd mod, no long tubes were availablbe.GSMotorsports was first with long tubes think back in 03/04. Cost was double the avg shorty and they fit like crap. Helped HP Indy install his, what a PITFA. We pryed them, bashed the frame, ground off 1/2 of the drivers side flange & in the end got someone to notch out and pocket the frame to give enough clearance. Needed a torque strap from the crossmember to motor so they wouldnt get knocked off on drivers side.
I sat of the fence fora while till hearing the Pacesetters were good before ordering a set.
If they didnt offer them...something is better than nothing.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: TIMIDONE

Indys is this the long tube you have or suggest?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Paces...QQcmdZViewItem
that looks like em to me. idk what the finish is on them

Old 04-15-2008, 10:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Once you have the exhaust and CAI in place, headers are a good investment. I have the luxury of living about three miles from KRC Performance and have had theopportunity of "stopping in" to see a lot of work performed on 4.7's, 5.2's, 5.9's and Hemi's often. Shorty Headers just don't show enough gains to justify the cost IMO. Mids are an OK investment, especially if you can install them yourself, but they don't have near the gains of LT headers. Unless you live where LT's will fail you on an inspection, or simply can't fit 'em, I'd not even bother with anything else.
I've seen a lot of dyno reports and the Pacesetters are right up there, with their LT's only really being behind the Dynatechs. At roughly a third of the price, I could live with 2nd best.
I went true dual on my '98 RCSB 1500 4x4 with a K&N CAIand a set of painted LT headers. The headers didn't last three years and I replaced them with another set of cheapy painted ones because I knew I would be selling or trading it soon.
I have a set of Pacesetter LT's on my current Hemi, ordered them in stainless and had them custom ceramic coated (inside & out) at a local coatings shop. They should last as long as I own the truck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/67238/C2880E016B7B4D199F4579D04D5101EC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/67238/98A7295B01F34AC79C24DBCAF062303B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Those look evil!

Quick Reply: What kind of headers?