2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Lift truck 6" suspension lift and replace tires with 315/75R16
23.26%
Do a total exhaust replacement; true dual with long headers
32.56%
Buy my first street motorcycle!
44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

A true decision point! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:58 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A true decision point! What to do?

Wow so close...was hoping you all just sway it to one side and I wouldn't have to think!

Old 04-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't really tell you which to do, but something to consider on the lift option. In my opinion, do not go 6" and 315's (35's) unless you can do gears too. You'll hate how your truck performs with that size tire and stock gears. Your truck will be a dog, and you might even regret doing the lift. Plus it is hard on your trans. So in my opinion, the only good way to go to 6" and 35's is to add another $1500-$2000 on the cost to do gears front and rear too.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Oh in that case...hmmm 2 of the 3 are tied...interesting

Old 04-12-2008, 10:32 PM
swampin2500

i say lift it forget the bike and just get exhaust later on. with the lift it will be easier to install the exhaust after the lift is on

Old 04-13-2008, 12:01 AM
blkbaretta
Veteran

I voted to go with the exhaust and headers. That's always a fun mod, and you'll really be able to enjoy it whenever you drive your truck. It really is a tough decision though.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:32 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Tell me about it! I forgot about having to change the gears....that might sway cause that is like another 1500-2000.

I might just get a bike I can work on also...that way my hands have something to do rather than just on the truck....plus I would know how to work on motorcycles if anything ever happened!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:53 AM
94Ramsey
Professional

LOL!!! untill u hit a pebble or get sideswiped and die ROFL wow i can stop laughing.sorry but consider this. gas is going up. bikes get like 90mpg. that truck yea it would look good with the lift and duals but think of all the money it takes to do that then all the gas that would be used up just to go to the store or work daily. think about it like this. get the bike. save money on gas, then do the mods to the truck. now unless you got money to blow away why not do all three? if your tight on money. look at the simple facts. oh and a pebble will not kill you, as far as sideswipeing pay attention to the other drivers. no offence i just found the "Until you hit a pebble in the road, wipe out, and die. Or try to quickly pass someone and they don't see you, then get sideswiped, wipe out, and die." over hilarious. "crash side and die" ROFL just cant forget the "and die" you make it sound sosafe to ride a bike. bike, $10,000 pebble $2. And Die, Priceless. have a nice day

Old 04-13-2008, 02:15 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO, those things are unsafe. You have no frame, metal, plastic, or anything to take damage for you, you have nothing to hold you in place to keep you from getting thrown. You could argue a helmet and leather, and those help a lot, but they can only do so much.

Yes, the pebble was an exaggeration, but you get my point. No offense taken.

I'm not saying if you buy one you're a bad person or an unsafe driver. All I'm saying is that sure, it does save you a lot of gas money, but I've read about (and heard of through my wife) so many people die or get paralyzed, or at the very least, having several bones broken from riding a motorcycle. The number of motorcycle accidents here in ratio with the number of motorcycles compared to the ratio between cars and car accidents out here isn't too different, but many fender benders you can walk away from, maybe even drive away from. With a motorcycle, forget about it. You hit another car/get hit by a car at any decent speed, you're going down/forward/whatever and sliding, going down and getting squashed, or flying over the handle bars.

At my wife's hospital (she's a RN), I know that the number of people in there for motorcycle accidents is always greater than the number of people in there for car accidents.

You can only watch out for the other guy so much. This may sound cruel, but my uncle has a habit that kind of fits the situation. He calls people who drive motorcycles "organ donors".

Just my two cents.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

If your lookin for better mpg id say go for the exhaust, thats an easy .002 mpg increase!hah But id still say go for the exhaust, itll make your truck breath better and sound amazing. That and i feel that if your going to spend cash on a bike might as well get a nice one that will last and be fun for awhile, and your health insurance will go up lol. Lift would be nice but those gears would be a must.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I can't really tell you which to do, but something to consider on the lift option. In my opinion, do not go 6" and 315's (35's) unless you can do gears too. You'll hate how your truck performs with that size tire and stock gears. Your truck will be a dog, and you might even regret doing the lift. Plus it is hard on your trans. So in my opinion, the only good way to go to 6" and 35's is to add another $1500-$2000 on the cost to do gears front and rear too.
Yea, I gotta agree.Even with the additional poniesof the Hemi, I saw a pretty noticeable slugginshness when I went to 35's.Re-gearing to4.56's fixed it and then some...
Not gonna change my vote, just saying you'll probably need new gears. Oh yea, a nice Auburn LSD or Detroit TruTrac would be nice, too. What the heck, it's only money, right?

Quick Reply: A true decision point! What to do?