2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuilt Tranny, must manual shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 03:33 PM
winginged
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt Tranny, must manual shift

I hope someone can point me in the right direction here.....
First, I am not a transmission mechanic, I have rebuilt a few, but am an amateur at best.
My problem is, I just rebuilt the 46re in my '97 ram and now it won't shift on it's own. I rebuilt it following the ATSG book, and have tried adjusting the TV cable. It will shift if I use the shifter manually, but when in drive it always starts out in HIGH gear, and never shifts down. I have an engine code indicating a bad O.D. sol., will this cause the problem? I have also read that the Governor could be causing it.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Ed

Old 04-12-2008, 06:42 PM
XXL 1500
Captain
Default RE: Rebuilt Tranny, must manual shift

when coming to a stop while trans is in "D" and then you restart, is it in a higher gear, if so = Governor pressure solenoid is more than likely the problem or output shaft speed sensor.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 PM
winginged

Yes, with the shifter in "Drive", it always stays in hight gear, all the time. The only way to ever get it to shift down is with the shifter. Even if I use the shifter to shift it down when at a stop, then put the shifter back up to drive before pulling out, it still starts in hight gear. If I leave the shifter in 1st, then shif to 2nd, then to Drive,,, the tranny shifts each time I change. In other words, the only way to ever have anything other than high gear I must manually shift.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no governor on an RE transmission, only the RH tranmissions have governors. If you do in fact have an RE i would suspect the Gov. pressure solenoid and sensor. But first i would replace the OD solenoid (which comes in a set and you have to replace the entire set. Clear out all trouble codes before you go any further.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Tranny, must manual shift