2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tune up time

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
benks16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up time

Truck has 101,xxx miles and its time for a tune up and to fix some things....

On the list:
Spark Plugs- Autolite 3923
8.5mm Super Conductor Wires
Brass Cap and Rotor Male/HEI
Mobile 1 Oil and Filter

Want to replace the shocks-will the rancho RS5000 work with my 2000 1500 Sport?

Want to change the fluid in the TC and the rear differential but can't find what fluid to use

I also want to drop the transmission pan but I've seen that a flush could destroy my tranny. Is there any truth to this??

If not was going to use the Amsoil ATf

I have to check the TB link

Is there anything I've overlooked??

Thank You in advance

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 5.2

Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Tune up time

I highly recommend using nothing but Mopar ATF+4 for the transmission. Amsoil is a good name, but I have heard so many stories about how picky our stock transmissions are when it comes to fluid.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the TC use tranny fluid or am I out of my mind?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Torque Converter uses the Tranny fluid and I also would only go with Mopar ATF+4. Walmart sells it for like $4.80 or 90 some a quart which is a lot better than the dealers $11 a quart or whatever and it's the same stuff.

A flush isn't dropping the pan and changing the filter. A flush is them hooking it up to a machine and flushing it. I wouldn't do this I'd just drop the pan and change the filter.

I also didn't like the Autolite plugs when I tried them. The truck seemed to like Champions a lot more so I went back to them.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:10 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

what champion plug did you use? I know I can do a research on the billions of possibilites, just want to know someone who had results with a specific part

Old 04-16-2008, 06:40 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I think it was 436 was the number on them but I'm not 100% sure. It's whatever came stock in this truck. I've heard quite a few others that have had problems with Autolites too but then there are a few who have good luck with them so I guess it depends on if you want to take your chances or not with those. My buddy that worked at Advance then the Dodge dealer said the same thing that Autolites didn't seem to last or work well in the Dodges.

Anyway I was going to try the truck plugs which were a dollar more this time but they didn't have them I think the number was 4336 for those but once again I'm not 100% sure. You better ask at the parts store what came stock.

They didn't have them so I got the platinum ones and so far they seem to work although I've only had them in for maybe 1-2k miles. I can't remember the part # on them either just ask Advance or the parts store when you go to get them.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

oh alright. i put autolite 3924 in there because i had to change them quick and thats what wal mart had ( being open 24/7 is the best thing they have, lol). They work with no problems, but I'm doing a whole bunch of work to the block and figure new plugs, why not? I read about the 3923's, but I might try out the champion plugs. Not that I think it matters, but, I'm going to change the thermostat and do a tune up with summit's 8mm wire, brass cap and rotor, so if I go with Champion over autolite, would that affect anything? Again I don't think it's relevant, but Dodges are Dodges. They're picky, lol.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:13 PM
RamItOne

yea some people crack open the TC to do a poor many tranny fluid drain.....

btw i use amsoil 5-30 100k mile, and 75-140 severe gear in the rear and 75-90 in the front (both 100k mile). need to flush the tranny and will put amsoil in that as well....
throw some marvel mystery oil in your crank case and if you have any left over throw the rest in your gas tank...

Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: kowboydmac

oh alright. i put autolite 3924 in there because i had to change them quick and thats what wal mart had ( being open 24/7 is the best thing they have, lol). They work with no problems, but I'm doing a whole bunch of work to the block and figure new plugs, why not? I read about the 3923's, but I might try out the champion plugs. Not that I think it matters, but, I'm going to change the thermostat and do a tune up with summit's 8mm wire, brass cap and rotor, so if I go with Champion over autolite, would that affect anything? Again I don't think it's relevant, but Dodges are Dodges. They're picky, lol.
Mine ran find for a few weeks maybe even a month then it just seemed to idle rough. Not that it idles smooth anyway but it seems smoother now with the champions.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

If I recall, Champions can be bought at Wal Mart as well, correct? If so, they usually have a guide that suggests the stock number for the particular plug.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I don't know. I know autolites can and I think they have some Champions but I'm not 100% sure. I went to both Advance and Napa when I got mine. I've gottne them from both places and they both can look them up in the computer and tell you what you need.

Quick Reply: Tune up time