2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I change the exhaust on my Chevy and how?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:44 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I change the exhaust on my Chevy and how?

I'm debating if I want to put a aftermarket exhaust on my 94 Chevy Caprice Classic. One one had I like leaving it stock which it is now. It's got low mileage and in great shape so I hate to modfiy it. If I do it will have to be a setup I can later put back to stock easily. The reason I'm thinking I want an exhaust as it just has a awesome tone to it. I mean it just sounds mean but it's a quiet mean. I'm thinking if I put a Flowmaster or similar it would make it really gowl. Right now it has the stock exhaust which comes down from the headers has 2 catalytic converters. It runs back from there with 2 pipes and goes into the muffler with 2 pipes. It comes out of the muffler as one then goes into another muffler looking thing doesn't look like a resonator looks more like a 2nd muffler then comes out the rear as a single pipe. Basically I'm thinking at the muffler I could take it off and run 1 more pipe to the back for a true dual exhaust. I'd really like to not have to spend that for another pipe to get run though. I have a single in dual out Flowmaster that came off my truck a while ago I thought about putting on there but idk how this could be done unless I flipped it around and used the dual outlets as the inlet and the single in as the outlet. Can this be done? Any downside to doing this? If I have another pipe I want it to curve down at the rear bumper exactly like the stock one does with no tip as it just looks sexy on this car.

Any ideas on what I should do and how I should do it? Or should I just leave the exhaust stock to match the rest of the car? I don't even have a CD player in it as I wanted to keep it stock.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Default RE: Should I change the exhaust on my Chevy and how?

I would leave it alone...

Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Slomojo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would find a good place to cut so that if you don't like the results you can always return everything to stock.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Slomojo
Veteran

What kind of a motor does it have? v8?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:21 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yup V8. I got this car free from my grandmother as I always liked it so when she got a new car she gave it to me for free. I've had it a little over a year. Not quite a year and a half.

The only really flaws I can think of is I had to put a A/C compressor in it as it locked up but not a big deal. Then I put ball joints and tie rod ends in it but I'm not 100% sure that it really needed them.

It's got a spot about 5" long of the clearcoat kind of peeling on the front bumper I'd like to get the bumper re painted but it doesn't look too bad yet. It's also go 1 crack through the dash and a 2nd tiny one. This isn't like the crappy dash in the dodge so once it starts it doesn't get horrible quickly. The steering wheel has the color coming off so it has black spots. Then the last flaw is a scratch about 3" long probably on one door. It's not that bad either. Being super picky those are the flaws I found. Overall it's in amazing shape especially for its age. When I worked at a shop the other mechanic kept trying to buy it. I've had 1 other shop work on it and he keeps trying to buy it from me too. I got offered $5500 which is right much more than blue book. They told me due to the low miles and good shape it was worth atleast that and that they are good cars. The one mechanic that owns the shop told me when ever I get ready to sell it to let him know.

This is why I hate to chop it up too much and want to mainly leave it all stock.

My grandmother always had maintence done at the Chevy dealer so the AC compressor and the Ball joints I got from Fishers and Tie Rod ends from Napa are about all thats not A/C Delco. Oh and wheel seals I put in from Napa. She had the rear bumper re painted as a few years ago the clear coat started peeling on that like the front bumper is starting to do and she was going to get the whole car painted but they told her the car didn't need painting only buffing so they buffed the car out and painted the rear bumper. So the paint on the rear bumper isn't original but it looks amazing still.

This is why I hate to hack the thing up to do mods but at the same time I think it would sound sweet with a flowmaster on it. I wish I could just bolt the Flowmaster in place so I didn't have to cut anything but the exhaust doesn't bolt together in many spots so I'd have to do a little custom work.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-17-2008, 03:15 PM
v10power
Professional

I have heard of others i know having adverse effects on putting a flowmaster on backwards. I have never personally done it so i can't comment on what they are, sorry. The only thing that i can figure is because of the baffles and backwards flow wouldn't work that well. Back to the car i would leave it stock as the caprice don't really bring in a demand in the modded form. They were formed by chevy to be a "family" based car. IF and only IF you want exhaust on it i would run new pipes and all from the manifolds back and keep the stock set up to put back on if the time ever arised. Good luck with the car they really are great vehicals and i don't even like chevys.

Quick Reply: Should I change the exhaust on my Chevy and how?