2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Tranny. Replace tranny cooler to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Dodgeman000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Tranny. Replace tranny cooler to?

So I lost second gear in my truck the other day. I have about 120,000 miles on it. I was lucky and picked up a new tranny with 40,000 miles on it. Today im gonna put the new tranny in at school. I have yet to look at the fluid in the pan. Should I get a after market tranny cooler? I plan on flushing the old tranny cooler. Or is it not worth it?

Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bad Tranny. Replace tranny cooler to?

Flushing and checking the cooler flow is always a good idea.
A larger cooler is a good idea but only really necessary if you tow very heavy loads or live in a very hot climate.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:40 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad Tranny. Replace tranny cooler to?

I was told to always flush the cooler but a local shop told me he wouldn't flush it that he would only do the job if I got a new cooler. I didn't go with him but it made me realize for what little the coolers cost I will get a new one. I ended up getting a B&M one that is probably right much better than stock anyway.

Quick Reply: Bad Tranny. Replace tranny cooler to?