2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Deciding

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:35 AM
BlueDemon01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Deciding

Hey everybody.
I am runnig an all stock 2001 Ram 1500 SLT V8 Magnum with 2WD.
I just got this truck a few months ago. Now I've done average researching on my truck and what would be best to get more horsepower out of it.
I'm limited on money for now so I can only stick to one new thing for it for now.
I was thinking a new cam, but that plus tuning would set me at about 600-700 dollars.
Or a new exhaust, which without labor, should be 400-800 (Gotta love Borla).
Or maybe even a new intake, since my intake sucks right now.
OR MAYBE a chip for it.

Yeah, I'm a teenager so running 93 octane isn't really for me or my wallet.
I know to get the best performance it's going to be very, very costly, and don't get me wrong I want the full 9 yards after a few years of putting my project together, like body-lifting, bigger tires, more hp, and making it loud as hell.

Please help me, I don't know enough to make this decision with only my knowledge.
Any suggestions, comments, help in person, sales, or anything you guys (and girls)have besides "Get out Noob" is very appreciated.
Please pm me about anything you want to sell or anything like that, since thats the first thing that comes up when you login.

Thanks-
Zak

Old 05-04-2008, 05:40 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Help Deciding

Get out noob! What a bunch of dumb questions...

J/K. Seriously, the first upgrade I'd recommend would be the exhaust or an intake kit, either CAI or the open element route. Lets the engine breath more, and any future upgrades will always be helped by that. Even with a limited budget, if you do the exhaust, get it done right. It might cost a little more, but IMO, do it right or don't do it at all. If you do it right, you will most likely not have to touch the exhaust ever again (other than a bad catalytic converter every so often).

I have headers and a SCT tuner planned for down the road myself. That, and maybe a LSD, are all I have planned for this truck on my limited budget. Was going to spend my "economic stimulus" package on that stuff, but my better half (wife) put a stop to that.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:56 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: jason.w

I have headers and a SCT tuner planned for down the road myself. That, and maybe a LSD, are all I have planned for this truck on my limited budget. Was going to spend my "economic stimulus" package on that stuff, but my better half (wife) put a stop to that.
Yeah she sure did, [sm=violent053.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 05-11-2008, 12:39 PM
BlueDemon01
Rookie

Alright thanks,
My idea is that around where I live (Dallas), there's a shop where instead of buying the whole exhaust kit, I just order the muffler and they cut the stock pipes to where the end would point to the ground I think in front of my back wheel.
200-300 dollars, I mean, if I find out it's legal, I will probably order a super 44 flowmaster (especially since they sell them at auto zone now) and maybe some magnaflow cats.
I just saw that jason has that on his truck... I didn't copy jason!
but they do sound mean as hell on dodge trucks.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:30 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

A few people run the Super 44(s) here, not just me.

And yes they do, I love the sound.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:34 AM
heavyduty1983
Professional

well if u go with the exhaust u talking bout u should be good, but if go all out and complete redo it make sure u get it retuned, first i put duals on my truck Y'ed out from muffalers no problem ($250) then i put true duals on my 99 ($650) and it threw a bunch of codes eventually, i had to replace o2 sensors, and some kinda air sensor forget what it was, also since ur in dallas (texas) u can go pretty loud before getting into trouble, i live down here in waco and there r some pretty loud trucks, also i had to get my exhaust done in whitney because noone in waco would touch it b/c there was so little room and it would take to long, btw exhaust was the first thing i put on my truck two weeks after i bought it

Old 05-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

Exhaust and TB are good starting points.... as a rule... I wouldnt do a cam unless the motors breathing and firing better.

Quick Reply: Help Deciding