2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can you bleed brakes with a vacum?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008 | 04:10 PM
pipeking
|
Veteran
Default can you bleed brakes with a vacum?

my truck blew the wheel cyl and by gravity my whole res emptyed onto the driveway.so i was thinking of reduciing the hose on my shop vac to hook up to the bleeder valves to helpgravityalong to bleed it out.
or adding a little presure (very little) to the res to push it threw.

Old 05-04-2008 | 04:32 PM
pipeking
|
Veteran
Default RE: can you bleed brakes with a vacum?

can i have some feed back please. i like to exsperament and try things to make life easyer

Old 05-04-2008 | 05:14 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

That makes no sense, sorry, lol. Just get a buddy and bleed them like normal.

Old 05-04-2008 | 05:59 PM
pipeking
|
Veteran

ok let me clerify.
i have to do every thing by my self i have nobody.so i find inginious ways to make my life easyer.so i am puting on new wheel cylinders in the rear bcuz one blew and im upgrading to the 1tons.my res has gon dry cuz it had leaked over night so i am bleeding out al the brake lines.i would like to fill up the res with fluidand thenhook up a vacume line one at a time to each cylinder/caliper.now i will reduce the hose to fit the valve,then open the valve,turn on the shop vac and let i suck the fluid from the res to the caliper until there is no air left in the line.it seems like a good idea.they make a hand pump that creates a vacum at the bleeder valve, so what if i use some vinal tubing to attach to the bleeder then to the shop vac.now im guessing no one has tryed this or just maybe just 'jr mech' hasnt but it is a thought and if anyone can think of somthing bad about it or nos it wont work then ill try it and let you guys know.if this makes bleeding the brakes as easy as flipping a switch then isnt that a good thing?
in the mean time can i get some more feedback?

Old 05-04-2008 | 06:20 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

You can buy a vacuum bleeder and do it. I'm not sure how you would do it with a shop vac. IMO it's easier to just do it the old fashion way. Thats how I've done it. I didn't like my vacuum bleeder and over time it somehow broke as I got it out to use it and it wouldn't work. I don't know if I broke it the last time I used it and forgot or what. Anyway I didn't go get another one I just did it the old fashioned way which I've had better luck with anyway. My uncle however loves his vacuum bleeder.

Old 05-04-2008 | 06:51 PM
Tarner
Professional

Or...... you can go to the auto parts store and buy some speed bleeders. they have a check valve or a ball and spring in them to prevent them from sucking air back into the brake system. they save time and you can bleed the brakes by yourself.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Old 05-05-2008 | 08:12 AM
ron333
Captain

I think you could do it the way you are proposing, but it may prove to be a little clumsy and more difficult to do. If you buy the tool made for this, it will be much easier to do and cleaner. Sears has one for around $35, which is the one I have, and a couple of Craftsman models that are more expensive, but do NOT carry the "Guaranteed Forever" warranty; only 1 year. This tool will also allow you to check your vacuum lines for leaks, and I believe it will do a few other things as well. It comes with several fittings and adapters along with instructions. I would suggest getting any one of these three tools, or any other tool designed for a one-man brake bleed. I understand the problem of not having someone else to help, so that emphasizes even more the need for the correct tools for the job.

Old 05-05-2008 | 10:01 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: ron333

I think you could do it the way you are proposing, but it may prove to be a little clumsy and more difficult to do. If you buy the tool made for this, it will be much easier to do and cleaner. Sears has one for around $35, which is the one I have, and a couple of Craftsman models that are more expensive, but do NOT carry the "Guaranteed Forever" warranty; only 1 year. This tool will also allow you to check your vacuum lines for leaks, and I believe it will do a few other things as well. It comes with several fittings and adapters along with instructions. I would suggest getting any one of these three tools, or any other tool designed for a one-man brake bleed. I understand the problem of not having someone else to help, so that emphasizes even more the need for the correct tools for the job.
The Craftsman one was the one I had although I thought it was more like $60-70. I didn't like it but it did come in handy for some stuff. It just never seemed to get all the air out idk if I used it wrong or what as my uncle seems to have luck with his. I'm thinking maybe I let it run out of vacuum before I close the bleeder valve not sure. It's been a while since I used it. I just found it to be faster and easier to do it the old fashion way.

Anyway I've kind of been meaning to buy another one just to keep around the house but I wasn't super impressed with the quality of the Craftsman one and my local Sears doesn't seem to stock it anymore anyway.

Old 05-05-2008 | 10:54 AM
ron333
Captain

The $40 one is by Mighty Vac or something like that. It is almost identical to one of the Craftsman units that they have locally. The Craftsman units are about $60 or so here. I agree about the old fashioned two man method, but if you are short the one person, I think a tool like this is better than nothing.

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:17 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah it is better than nothing if you only have yourself.

BTW did you get yours at a Sears? Or off the website or what? I kind of would like to get another one just to have around.

Quick Reply: can you bleed brakes with a vacum?