2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple questions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Couple questions..

Yeah, checked the fluid and it is good. Fluid level, is good. I don't know what kind of shift kit is in the truck. Truck never makes any kind of weird smell either. The transmission is a very strong unit, and carries the truck nicely, it's just that shift into overdrive that is dreadful. Shift into second gear has an intense thump too, but I don't mind that. It's just the stutter going into overdrive that bothers me, it just doesn't seem healthy at all.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

How much do you want to make a bet that the shop screwed something else up?

EDIT: I don't think you can adjust much yourself, as I believe the 3-4 shift is controlled by the computer, unlike 1-2 and 2-3. I'd take it back into the shop, or drive it how it is. Either way, if it brakes or not, go into that shop and use that warranty. They raped you so bad in price, might as well bother them until they get it perfect.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are getting fed lines about how it's over built. APS builds them to be able to handle tons of power yet in my truck without huge amounts of power it still does just fine. I think if they know how to properly build one for a Dodge it it will not be like you describe. However shift kits make it shift hard and fast so its hard to tell over the internet if thats what you are feeling or if its something else.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Ok I checked it out as I had a video of my truck going up to 60 with the APS transmission. At WOT with the pedal to the floor. Just flooring it from a stop no launching it hard on the brake or anything. Anyway 1st to 2nd shift is between 35-40mph 2nd to 3rd is around 60mph and it never goes into OD. Now I checked mine when you were having these problems before and it was around 45 or so when it went into overdrive when I was driving it around normally and I mean barely on the gas. If I gave it much gas at all it kept on going in 3rd or if I put it to the floor it would downshift. If I get mine around 30mph and punch it it will shift into low gear and throw you back into the seat hard.

So are you saying if you are at WOT your truck still wants to go into OD at 45? I'm not sure when mine would go into OD at WOT but it doesn't shift into 3rd until right around 60 at WOT. This is what I'm saying about how something doesn't sound right with yours but its hard to tell without being there seeing it.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I wouldn't worry about it too much minus the shaking. From how I read it, sounds normal. If im in 3rd up a ramp and I push the pedel down pretty good but before 2nd gear kick down, it won't shift into OD for a good while (after 60). When I let off, she will hold for a few sec, then kick in. If im gradual, she kicks in on the dot. When I she kicks into OD, she hits like a bag of bricks. My OD kicks in at 50mph. 49mph, shes in 3rd. The 45-55 powerband is kinda blows. If I want to hold a hill, I have to be going minimum 55, usually around 60 before the hill with foot into pedel before shift point. Sounds fine to me. Im gonna look into a shift kit this summer and save up the rest of my $$. Haha, I want this pig to chirp 2nd LOL... jk

Old 05-08-2008, 12:00 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah but it sounds like he is trying to say his goes into OD no matter how he is on the gas hwen it hits 45. Is that how it is or am I misunderstanding you?

Old 05-08-2008, 01:21 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

If I go at wide open throttle, the truck shifts on que perfectly. But if I'm trying to get on the highway it won't stay in third gear. It will shift into overdrive on me and stutter into it. Like if I were to kind start picking the pace up in 3rd gear, youwould thinkit would stay into third gear until you were done acclerating, then it would shift into overdrive. If I have any kind of gas in third gear, it feels like it prematurely shifts into overdrive even if I'm clearly trying to get accelereation outof 3rd gear. I don't know , maybe I'll make a video tomorrow to show you guys.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:12 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

So let me put this into my own words here for a min. If you go up a ramp in 3rd gear with pedel pushedjust before the2nd gear kickdown point... she will shift into OD at 45 no matter what. And if you fly up the ramp at WOT, she will wine'd through 2nd, 3rd, then hit OD eventually. If that is what your trying to say....im pretty sure thats how its supposed 2 work. Yes, the 45mph shift does seem early, and I told you in your last transmission thread how mine shifts at 50 now because of what I did (but wasn't intensional). The tranny shop isnt going to be able to do a thing because like I told you in that last thread as well, OD shift pointis computer controlled. Others still insisted to tell you to move the TV cable to adjust OD shift point... I wish ya luck on that one.. (because it doesn't work). The only way to delay your OD shift point is with a computer flash or rig up something to fool the computer, but a computer flash is prb 10x easier, and 3x more expensive than the tire size corrector. I used a tire size corrector as an example as to somethign that will fool the computer. You could crank it up saying you have bigger tires...your odometer will be off... but you'd prb get that later OD shift assuming the computer gets its info from the speed sensor for the OD shift. Honestly I don't now that part.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Thats another thing to consider how far is your speedo off? When it says you are doing 45 you may be doing 50.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:42 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Alright I think that could be a good possibilty about the speedo not being correctly calibrated causing that stutter into overdrive. Those guys at the transmission shop only calibrated it to 285 tires, they kept saying they couldn't calibrate it to the 35" tires, and I didn't feel like debating it with them. So I called the dealer, and they can do it next Tuesday. They said I have to find the speed rating of the tire, and the revs per limit? I'm not really sure what he meant by that.

The tire is a 35/12.5/17 Dunlop Radial Mud Rover. Is there anything else I need to know to have them calibrate the truck to the 35"tires?

Quick Reply: Couple questions..