2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 ram stalls only in weird situations

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:40 PM
lightningboy2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ram stalls only in weird situations

hey guys I would really appreciate any help with this situation im having. I have a 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4 the 5.9 engine with the z code nearing the 200,000 mile mark. I honestly have tried searching the forums to this problem but have not found a similar situation to mine. the truck seems to stall ONLY when it is really foggy or extremely humid outside. the truck will sometimes start up perfectly but then begging idling at around 1500 rpm and starts shuttering and sputtering and as I put it into drive the engine turns off it wont restart unless I press the gas pedal all the way and just keep the key turned all the way as if im starting it. as soon as it start at that point it is still sputtering and dies shortly after. I sometimes have to wait half a day for it to restart, and it will start perfectly idle correctly and after I drive for a few minutes it begins to sputter and die and I need to press the gas pedal completely down to restart it. seems like i need the air outside to loose the humidy for it to start properly. also if I put the truck in the garage overnight and warm it up for about 10 min it will not do this to me. on any other day that its not foggy or humid the truck runs perfectly and shows no signs of problems. I have so far replaced all the cables, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs cleaned the TB but I just find it weird that the truck acts up only with that sort of humidity. Could someone please help me? I will really appreciate

Old 05-08-2008, 05:08 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: 99 ram stalls only in weird situations

Sounds like moisture/water is getting into someplace where it shouldn't.

Dumb question... hows your air filter look?

Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 PM
lightningboy2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 99 ram stalls only in weird situations

i just took it out i would say it looks fine i replaced it about 3 months ago doesnt look too dirty, i felt around to see if there were any wet spots or stained spots on it like if it was previous wet but none

Quick Reply: 99 ram stalls only in weird situations