2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

comments regarding Keggar Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 AM
Slomojo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comments regarding Keggar Mod.

I did the keggar mod on my moded modd modd moded truck, and I must say it's very nice.

I recently blew out my catalytic converter, and redid my exhause afterwards. Since then, my truck didn't have the oomph it used to off the line. Except for when I was driving with Open Headers on the way to the exhaust shop. That was a fun little trip and I recomend it to anyone looking for a boost.

Anyways, I went all out on my exhaust. I installed the mopar performance 4 into 2 into 1 shorty headers with 2.25" collectors I aquired off craigslist. From that I went with 2.5" diameter collectors that led into my exhaust. Then 2.5" pipes continue into a 2.5" diameter x pipe, which is so I can keep my O2 sensor in it's original location. From the x pipe I routed things into dual 2.5" diameter ceramic cell high flow cats and then from there into a y pipe with 2.5" inputs and a 3.5" output, once again so I could keep the O2 sensor in stock location. From there I installed a Dynomax ultraflow muffler which is pretty much straight 3.5" pipe with some perforation around it and that's it.

All in all, the exhaust has minimal backpressure and brought my power level on the bottom end down a bit, but at highway speeds things have only gotten better. The truck just chugs along when cruising, but as soon as I stomp on it, the torque kicks in and it goes.

Now, after I did the keggar mod with rounded runners, not sharpened, cut greater then 1.25" but less then 1.5" and fixed my plenum with a cheap $20 felpro gasket kit along with some ultra black high temp RTV sealent, using my old torque to yield bolts because I'm too broke to give a flying hootin nanny about spending $50 plus shipping for some hardware, my truck is mean. Off the line, the truck just straight pulls like a hook. My truck hasn't ever had this much get up and go. When I bought the truck with 58,000 miles on it, I couldn't even burnout unless I was flipping a bitch. I think this has definately changed now. The only thing I can say that went wrong with this plenum job is that one of my injectors has gone bad after removing, cleaning, and reinstalling it.

I took all my injectors and dropped them in a bath of heated acetone inside of a ultrasonic cleaner. 7/8 are good, but #8, which is thankfully in the very front of my motor on the driver side in a very easy acces location, is spraying and leaking fuel from around and under the electric terminal. I thought about going to the junkyard to get a new one on the cheap, but I've decided to avoid the hassle and just go to the dealer so that I know the injector is full proof. Other then that, there have been no snags except for the fact that I might pull a Roasted Ram Alla Indy if I drive any further then the end of my street.

I am very happy with the keggar mod, but am almost certain that it's something that is best done when combined with a high flow exhaust system. Other people here have posted how their trucks breath better above a certain RPM threshold with their modded keggars but me, I personally feel that it has improved the entire power band for my truck due to the free flowing exhaust setup I have. I can only hope that my next mods result in such dramatic improvements.

As soon as I get this injector problem solved, I'll post more findings.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: comments regarding Keggar Mod.

You sure you didn't just pinch and cut the o ring that holds the injector in? I'd pull it and check that first. When you reinsert them, use some oil or PB blaster to lube them up before you stuff them back in. I'll bet theat's your problem, not the injector. You can buy a package of four for pretty cheap at the parts store. Each injector takes 2 o rings; one top, one bottom.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Slomojo
Veteran

I am pretty sure it's the injector itself. The gas is coming from where the wire plugs into it and from the seam between the gray plastic terminal housing and the black metal injector housing. Will certainly check the O ring to make sure though. I just have to do the brakes on my acura before I do that. Trucks not even insured right now anyways, so no rush but I'll finish it up by tonight.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Finshed...

Now I got like 7 more leaking injectors. Woohoo! And they all seam to be leaking in places where the first one was. This kinda sucks... My truck will catch on fire if I drive it and new injectors aren't cheap.

Now I got a few choices. Hit the junkyards looking for injectors, part number 5303778, off jeeps, dodges, and chryslers, get brand new higher flow venom injector$, or get new factory injector$ for 57.88 a peice plus shipping.

Major bummer.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:27 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Finally buttoned everything up. Went to the junkyard and found a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee with everyhint I needed and then some. Got 8 injectors for $80 and even a nice air hat for $15 for a future ram air setup or possibly a cone style filter upgrade. The air hat even comes with a factory S bolt, for those of you who may be interested in something better then making a s bolt from scratch. Here are some pics of the air hat and I've even got an exhaust clip with everything running nice and smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b96AEAGffRc

Quick Reply: comments regarding Keggar Mod.