2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yet another cooling system question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 02:51 AM
Snafu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yet another cooling system question...

Theoretically no, they can't compensate for it. A former buddy of mine runs a Jet Stage II chip with no thermostat. The truck has tons of power, but his rings are SHOT. The Jet chips also usually put slightly more fuel in the mixture for more power. Fuel actually works as a coolant in the combustion chamber, so the more you have the cooler the engine runs. This complicates the problem of the lower temp thermostat. I really think that it's hit or miss with the chips because the fuel injection systems are pretty well optomized from the factory. Only way to make major differences reliably will be from larger injectors and higher flow throttle body combined with programming changes.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:54 AM
Scootr
Professional

Thank you for breaking that down for me Snafu!

Old 01-16-2005, 12:47 AM
carshemi
Rookie

Snafu not to argue but if your buddy has tons of power then how can his rings be shot? I could see that being caused by No thermo. You can have more chance of over heating with-out a thermo. The coolant has no chance to cool down in the rad! But if the rings are shot then were's all the blow by going, what's the compression reading.You don't make TONS of power with bad rings. Sorry just curiuos?[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 01-18-2005, 05:02 PM
MOGAMAN

I JUST BOUGHT A USED 99 5.2 RAM AND SAW MY TEMPS AT LIKE 180-170 RANGE FIRM. I DIDNT THINK IT WAS NORMAL. I ASKED THE PREVIOUS OWNER AND HE SAID HE DID NOT INSTALL A LOWER TEMP THERMASTAT. COULD MY STOCK ONE BE STUCK OPEN? MAYBE SOMEONE DRILLED HOLES IN IT? WILL THE OPTIMUM RUNNING TEMP GIVE ME BETTER GAS MILEAGE? I SHOULD CHECK IT OUT.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:03 PM
MOGAMAN

SORRY TO THREAD JACK

Old 01-18-2005, 11:09 PM
carshemi
Rookie

If fluid level isn't low could be several things. Stat could be bad, could be stuck?The easiest check. Pull the stat. Change it 15 mins. tops.Maybe 8/9$ it's a little tight but not bad. Clamp the hose and save from dumpin' coolant every where. Don't drop the bolts in the stat hole!BTW 180* stat has NO effect on P.C.M.,Throttle body,etc. The P.C.M. stays in open loop mode for the best fuel/air mixture until the o2 sensor reaches operating temp. 600*F. Then reads the o2 from there out.Dout anyone drilled it but you never know?[sm=usa.gif](have had them in both my trucks)

Old 01-19-2005, 11:56 AM
MOGAMAN

THANK YOU SIR.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:33 PM
carshemi
Rookie

Not a problem! Post after you get it checked-out? Didn't get how many miles on it?Good luck[sm=smiley20.gif] Hope that's all it is any easy fix?

Old 01-20-2005, 11:40 AM
doziersdodge
Professional

Go with the 180 thermo. That is what I have in mine. Had it for several years...no problems. I had a leak in my timing cover gasket several years ago. Got the kit and changed the gasket, hoses, water pump, thermo., etc., etc. My temp. was up and down...I was also losing coolant but no puddling. Took me a day to do it, right. Spent less than $100 for extra reassurance.

Quick Reply: Yet another cooling system question...