2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas Saving

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 PM
George4x492DD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Saving

I have a DRam 1999 4x4 5.9L with the following mods:

Air Raid Tube
Magnaflow HighFlowConverter
Flowmaster exhaust

So far I managed to bring my MPG up from 9 to 12. Is there anything that can be done? I read about CNG on this site, sounds good,but I am not willing to invest that kind of cash into something that may not pay for it self, $1,200 is a lot of cash for me. Also, I worry that it might explode. I askeda guy at the parts store about Hypertech but he said it wasn't worth it unless your truckis aDiesel. I thought about selling it but Idon't think anyone would buy it at these gas prices. SoI guess I am stuck with it. I really like my DRam but Icannot afford it as a daily driver. Would converting it to a Cummins be an option? I heard they are supposed to be better on fuel. And maybe I could run it on cooking oil.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas Saving

Long tube headers/continue to free up exhaust, general tune up, i.e. plugs, wires, cap n rotor, etc.
Check your plenum gasket (do a search if you're unfamiliar). If bad, fix it then do 2-3 seafoam treatments.
If you have the death flash (search), Superchips will help a lot, but a real flash (SCT, B&G) will help a lotmore.
Ramairbox

These are the things I have done to my truck since owning it that have contributed to better fuel mileage.

Quick Reply: Gas Saving