2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can some one give me tips for balljoint

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:17 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can some one give me tips for balljoint

Ok I have the tire, rotor and caliper off. I've taken of the three bolts behind the steering knuckle. I can't get the hup to seperate from the knuckle. I havn't removed the hub nut. My question is do I need to remove the hub nut? Id prefer to remove the axle and hub as an assembly. When I look at it it lookslike the hub nut holds the axle shaft to the hub and the three bolts behind the knuckle hold the hub to theknuckle. Is there a clip that I have to take off in the differntial to get the shaft to slide out? Also is there something special I have to do with the upper ball joint. It's offset wich I don't think that I really need but, it was the only ball joint I could find at work.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 PM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can some one give me tips for balljoint

If yours is like mine, then yes you do have to remove the hub nut. It is 1-11/16" size, and it may not come off too easily. I just replaced the bearing assemblies on mine about a month ago. One nut came off without too much problem. The other I ended up having to cut it off and buy a new one from a local dealership. The nut cost about $26 and I could ONLY find one at the dealership. Once you remove the hub nut, the assembly comes apart easily.

Quick Reply: Can some one give me tips for balljoint