2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie needs help, engine won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 AM
kf4ayw
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie needs help, engine won't start.

Check the battery cables for corrosion, especially on the inside. Not getting a good connection somewhere. Mine had a spell where it started sputtering and wouldnt run properly. Bad Ground, go figure.

Fixed that and it has been hauling ever since.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 AM
timsalas
Veteran

I'm with hometheaterman on this one, even though Im a newbie.. problems started after you messed with the batary, maybe the battery isnt healthy anymore.. Got a spare one layin around? Might have somehow gotten damaged when you unhooked it while the alternator was still tryin to charge it..

Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Mopar.biz

Go to your local murrays, autozone, oriely's etc. and rent a OBD scanner for your truck and see if any error codes show up thats also another good starting point because of how many times you may have connected and disconnected the battery could of shorted any fuse/wire/relay.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Jubsee

The battery is about a week old and I've had it tested today and it is fine. I had a guy that installs remote start kits come over today to test mine and he said it was bad so I had him remove it and put the system back to stock. It still doesn't start but at least I've eliminated one possibility. While he was here, I had him check all the fuses and relays and they all were fine. I'm wondering if its the body contol module because I know there is a problem in the electrical system since when I turn the key to run, many of the interior electronics do not work... only the over head light and blower work (stereo, guages, odometer, power locks, power windows - do not work).

Does anyone have an idea of what to check next? I'm going to start checking wires for cracked insulation, corrosion, etc.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Jubsee

I found another guy with a caravan that was having the same issues and it ended up being the ignition switch so i'm going to replace that tonight. I couldn't find the DIY for the ignition switch though, does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks,
J

Old 05-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Jubsee

Well, I replaced the ignition switch and there is no change.

God I hate electrical problems.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:30 PM
fastfiggy
Angry interior electrical problems

Did you ever find out what your problem was? I have the same problem. My stereo comes on but no sound, my power seat, locks or windows don't work. I think there is a ground wire loose somewhere. All of this started right after my dash caved in...

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help, engine won't start.