2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Ram 1500 w/ 318 backfiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Fresno Ken
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Ram 1500 w/ 318 backfiring problem

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 318. It has about 130k miles. It started running like it had a fuel problem. I delayed taking it into the shop for repair until it finally stalled out while driving and would not start. It turned over fine and seemed ot be out of fuel even though there was a full tank. So it was towed to the shop and the fuel pump replaced. It ran fine for about 5 miles when it started backfiring and lugging again. So I took it back in and they said they couldn't figure out what was wrong. So it went to another mechanic. They looked at it and said it was ignition and replaced the rotor and cap and spark plugs. Ran fine for about 15 miles. Took it back and they replaced the coil and ignition wires. Still backfires and acts like it is out of fuel. The odd thing is it only misses on 5 cylinders. The other three do not misfire according to the scanner. This only happens when in gear.... if it is in park and idling, there is no problem at all.

HELP!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1997 Ram 1500 w/ 318 backfiring problem