2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diesel pump heater fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Weanuts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel pump heater fire

Going fishing and noticed smell and unusual smoke under hood. Upon inspecting found transfer pump appears to have heater or heaters mounted to it. Top most shorted and caught fire igniting oil line(add on) Everything ok now but was wondering if anybody nows of these heaters??

thks in adnance

Old 05-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Weanuts
Default RE: Diesel pump heater fire

Dummy me. Vehicle is first generation 1998 engine
thks

Old 05-23-2008, 10:52 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Default RE: Diesel pump heater fire

Going fishing and noticed smell and unusual smoke under hood. Upon inspecting found transfer pump appears to have heater or heaters mounted to it. Top most shorted and caught fire igniting oil line(add on) Everything ok now but was wondering if anybody nows of these heaters??

thks in adnance

**Translation**

I was going fishing one daywhen I noticed an unusual smell and smoke coming from underneath the hood. After opening the hood I found that the transfer pump has heaters mounted to it. The top heater has apparently shorted out and caught fire. The fire also burned the oil line. Everything is no one was hurt but, my question is does anyone know what these heaters are for?

Thank you for your help

**End of Translation**

I'm not a diesel mechanic but, I do know that if diesel fuel gets cold enough it will gel. The heaters are probably there to prevent this from happening but, I'm not a hundred percent sure.

Quick Reply: Diesel pump heater fire