2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Went back to my stock airbox and havent looked back

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Viper37
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went back to my stock airbox and havent looked back

I used to run the regular air cleaner like a lot of folks on here, and I really liked it. Especially when I would bury the pedel and listen to a dull roaring noise coming from ahead of me.

Yesterday I was cleaning under the hood and mangled the breather line I had going from my Valve cover to my Air cleaner. Instead of going filterless until I got the hose, I grabbed my stock airbox and threw it back on there.

I took her for a spin later that day and the difference was astounding. With the 14x3 I had on there, I had lost a LOT of driveablility on the low end. It was like night and day. Going up the road by my house, I used to have to push much harder to get there, now I barely push the pedel and she glides right up.

Not only that, shifts are smoother. (No, I didnt forget to reset the computer)

That was my experience, not saying you should follow suit, but the Old School Air cleaner is staying off my 318 for good.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM
matt7591
Default RE: Went back to my stock airbox and havent looked back

I'll try a comparison at some point. I put my Mr. Gasket 1480 on and I love it. I am not a speed freak. I tow. And when I tow I'm running at close to 3000 rpm. So that extra air at that rpm should make a diff. I have a longer trip soon so will be able to say for sure.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Viper37
Banned
Default RE: Went back to my stock airbox and havent looked back

Your right, when I nail it my truck would accelerate faster in the top end.

But how often do I go past 2500 RPM's?

Once or twice a tank.

Maybe.

Quick Reply: Went back to my stock airbox and havent looked back