2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Converter ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 02:11 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter ?

Since I have the 285s on my truck right now, I figure I'll maximize most and bring it to the transmission shop Tuesday while I still have the little tires on the truck. This way he won't have any excuses about tires and what not. Here is my question. Would a torque converter, that is too powerful for the truck, cause the immense slam out of first gear, and the big slam/stutter into overdrive? I think this is what I can think of. The transmission is fine, but I can hear that torque converter just really clinching causing those big slams, and it feels unusual. I've come up with a consensus on this transmission. It performs well if I am going very slow, or at full throttle, but it has no median. Medium throttle doesn't exist. If I want to do a pass without flooring it, but want to make it kickdown, the truck will start going but then I can just feel the torque converter locking up and sucking the power away. Or if I have the gas pedal applied trying to accelerate, it will slam into overdrive unless I let off or don't have much gas going into it, it's very bizzarre. I've also noticed that if I'm just casually driving, the truck will sit there at the end of third gear and just kind of waver there, and then it will finally shift into overdrive. So at light throttle, the truck kind of prolongs the shift into overdrive. And at medium throttle, the truck slams/skips into overdrive, and at full throttle is about the only time the transmission is good. To me, this is poor engineering. They say it's hard to develop a transmission across the band, but that's bogus to me. A stock transmission does this great. It gives you excellent daily driving abilities, but also has the ability to explode. I feel like my transmission is from a one ton, it's too powerful for the truck, and it robs power from me unless I'm at full throttle, which is rare and uneeded. So Tuesday, I'm going there and asking Mark to get in the truck with me. And I'm going to ask him about the hard slam out first gear, and the weird stutter into overdrive. I mean, it's just a half ton truck, I want it to be strong, but it shouldn't feel like I'm riding a dump truck, that's overkill.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter ?