2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 1500 a/c problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:32 PM
fearless
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 dodge ram 1500 a/c problem

My A/C works great, but soon as you turn the blower on it blows a fuse right away. I am guessing I have a grounded wire somewhere, but can anybody help me with this problem??? I have traced the dark green wire to a little box under the right side of the steering wheel and then it branches off into 4 other wires. What do I need to look for or is there any trick to tracking down electrical problems???

Old 05-26-2008, 06:21 PM
fearless
Rookie
Default RE: 96 dodge ram 1500 a/c problem

would a a/c control relay cause this problem??? Can you check a relay to see if its any good??

Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it blow the fuse even if you turn the fan switch to the NON A/C setting?
It might be just a bad blower motor. Unplug it (blower motor)under the dashon the passenger side and see if it still blows the fuse.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
fearless
Rookie

It does blow the fuse no matter if it turns to the a/c or just the blower. I will unplug it and turn the **** to see if it blows it then and get back to you.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM
fearless
Rookie

ok, so I unplug the blower motor and the fuse doesn't blow. So I take the blower motor out to check it in the garage to see if I can the get the wires hot. No luck it works great. So I plug the motor back into the wire harness and leave it on the floor board and no hot fuse or hot wires. I put the motor back under the dash and bolt it back into the assembly and then the wires get hot and the fuse gets hot. Take the motor back out and plug it up while its on the floor again and it works. What would cause thefuse and wires to get hot when the motor is bolted up in the plastic and it not get hot when its on the floor?????

Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 PM
jwilcox

Sounds like the fan cage is hitting something inside the blower box. or the air filter is clogged and keeping fresh air from being drawn into the box.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:56 PM
fearless
Rookie

I don't think its hitting anything in there, It sounds like it is spinning freely and air is coming out of the vents with no problem. Going to check the air filter now, but I don't think that would cause the fuse to pop.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just a wild guess here... does the blower motor bolt in metal to metal, so the frame is gounded ? and if so, could the internal wiring/winding be shorted out to the motor frame ? what happens if you lay the motor back in the floorboard, wiring harness hooked up, with motor running fine and nothing hot or blown... then connect a ground wire from the motor frame back to a ground on the truck (like it would be when bolted in) nothing should change... but does it ?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 PM
fearless
Rookie

I will try that, but I don't think there is any metal in the box that it bolts to. this is very strange.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:05 PM
fearless
Rookie

Ok so I don't know what is going on. My wires and fuse get hot as hell when the blower is hooked up and when I disconnect it, they cool off, but the blower control is still on just the blower is disconnected. I also noticed that when I hold the blower in my hand and its running, the bottom of the case gets real warm, does this mean I need a new blower motor?? I ordered one off of ebay for $30, so I hope this fixes it.

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 1500 a/c problem