2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram Magnum V6 Distributor access

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:16 PM
MIKEINNV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Magnum V6 Distributor access

Any one who has attempted to access the distributor of 95 or newer Ram Pickup knows how tuff it is to get to. Any one have a trick ? Can the upper plastic molding be removed ?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ram Magnum V6 Distributor access

ORIGINAL: MIKEINNV

Any one who has attempted to access the distributor of 95 or newer Ram Pickup knows how tuff it is to get to. Any one have a trick ? Can the upper plastic molding be removed ?
Take off the air cleaner , its not easy but not hard either , your gonna lay across the motor so make sure its cool , use a philps screwdriver and be careful not to break the bolts ,

Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
wvjefo
Professional

+1 take off the air cleaner, then get a step ladder. Not hard to do just hard to reach. Climb right inside that engine bay. Get the Manual. Very easy to srcew up the plug wires.

Jeff

Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hold your kid by the ankles over the engine bay and hand him a phillips head screwdriver. I find that 9-10 year olds are the best. Smart enough to do the job, skinny enough to hold for a few minutes, and small enough hands to fit back there.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

Hold your kid by the ankles over the engine bay and hand him a phillips head screwdriver. I find that 9-10 year olds are the best. Smart enough to do the job, skinny enough to hold for a few minutes, and small enough hands to fit back there.

Sit back with a beer for a job well done , OPPPPSSSS gotta be PC , sit with a bowl of icecream for a job well done...

Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Get the Manual. Very easy to srcew up the plug wires.
I used different colored cable ties to label the wires and which posts they go to. Replaced one wire at a time once the cap and rotor were replaced, so that I could follow the exact routing of the old ones. Worked very well. Luckily for me, I have long, skinny arms.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:11 AM
MIKEINNV

That's what I did !! I have a step that attaches to the front wheel for easy access that way, but had to remove the cap by feel and a small phillips. But I was thinking that if I have to replace the plug wires or pick-up coil, things are gonna get nasty !! I was just thinking that there has got to be a better way !! LOL Thank you Dodge, for placing that between the engine and the fire wall. What where they thinking ? Oh ya, bring it to us if ya want it worked on. LOL

Quick Reply: Ram Magnum V6 Distributor access