2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

found a truck that i would like,

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:58 AM
crazy~redneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found a truck that i would like,

i found a dodge 2500 for sale.

it is a 1999 2500 with the v10.

i am going to call the owner to set up a test drive. the truck has a 103XXX on it. what should i listen to/look for?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:54 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Default RE: found a truck that i would like,

pay attention to the tranny. they are notorious for going out. also check the engine bay for leaks, the power steering box is known to leak too. If its 4x4 check that out as well, the vaccum acctuators fail sometimes as well.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Shawn86
Professional

Not to be the thron in your side,but are you really crazy! Your looking into a v-10 engine wth todays gas prices! I filled up my tank today, paid 4.35 a gallon for regular in a 1500 with a 5.9 and that will last me about a week. Gas prices aren't going to go down soon if ever. I would seriously consider getting something with a hell of a lot better fuel mileage thatn a V-10 if I were you. Hell go with a diesle and and run bio-fuels. And yes I know I spelt that wrong, I'm to tired to care!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:29 PM
crazy~redneck

im making damn good money, dont have a house payment, no car payments unless i get this truck, and on top of that,it is a nice truck. i need to replace my current driver (99 ford expoturd that has over 215,000).

my other driver is a 76 jeep j10 that has a refreshed motor. it gets around 15-20 depending on wind, this is my DD after i buy the 2500.

the j10 i had to pull the motor appart because i has no compression on the #1 cyl. i melted a piston and got luckey and nothing else was damaged. so i bought a new piston and conn. rod, ground the valve's and slapped it all back together. it is not a reliable as the 2500, and never will be.

ther are a couple pics of the j10 the day it fried....

http://www.tmobilepictures.com/crazy...=1212291533195

back to the dodge, i was told it has a rebuilt tranny in it with only 5,000 on it. the truck is a sl, has power everything, looks really decent. and i mainly need something that when i hook a trailer up to it i know that it will pull it, also something that i can drive over 60 in when i am running late to work. gas in my area just dropped to 369.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 AM
Shawn86
Professional

Ok, If you're looking at a tow vehicle, why gas? I realize that right now the price of gasoline is way cheaper than diesel but in the long run I really believe that the majority of vehicles are going to be running on diesel and the prices are going to drop dramatically because there will be a higher demand for it. Plus theres the benefit of actually making your own biofuel in your garage off of McDonalds french fry oil, which is free!

This new transmission, is it an original style transmission or is it aftermarket. Look around, if its got a new tranny, its prone to same problems we've all had. And, if it was replaced with a dodge transmission, even though I hate to say it, theres no gurantee there not the best byfar!

I'm not trying to be the pain in the *** here; but, I'm trying to point out that you can find a lot better of a deal then the v-10 with todays fuel economy. My friend with a generation 3 dodge ram 2500 diesel and a banks programmer was pushing close to 21 mpg around town. I'm sure that'll blow the V-10 out of the water in all asspects.

Quick Reply: found a truck that i would like,