2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need New AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:41 PM
matt7591
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New AC Compressor

It's official. I need a new AC compressor. My question for you all is whether I should attempt to do this myself or have it done.

First, for those who have had it done, how much did it cost parts and labor? For those who do it themselves, how hard is it to do? I would have to deal with freon, flushing, then refilling the system. Wouldn't I have to have that done professionally?

So far I'm thinking I could do it with about $300 worth of parts (compressor, drier, a few sundry parts) + whatever parts/labor to evacuate and fill freon.

I've been quoted $600 - $1100 to have it done

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 AM
phlash_riot
Default RE: Need New AC Compressor

well some of it is depends on if your system has been discharged to atmosphere or not. if it has then get a new dryer if not you might be able to salvage it. you can put the whole thing together yourself also long as you have the special tool required for the connection points. the biggest problem would be if your system has open to atmosphere for a while and the evaporator got corroded inside and would have to be replaced. then you have to pull the whole dash out. pulling the dash isn't as bad as it sounds though about a 7 hour job. eighter way(charged or not) i would take it to a mechanic. if it is charged i would have them discharge the system( you can then replace parts as needed) or discharged .. well if it is discharged i would replace the compressor myself then have them evacuate the air from the system then put freon in for you. if you do replace the compressor yourself i would look into replacing the thermostat while you have easy access to it and it being a simple and cheap side job.

as for parts figure 200-240 for the compressor 30-40 for the dryer.
you can put freon in yourself but you'll have to take it to a mechanic to have the system evacutaed for about 60-70 simolians

Old 06-03-2008, 11:21 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

It's not as hard as it sounds.

You will need the plastic connection tool to remove the lines, that costs around $10 at an auto parts store. I'd also change the dryer no matter what. It doesn't cost much and it is one of those things that will just go bad a few days, weeks, months, whatever,later.

Once you replace the parts, you will need to evacute the air out of the system with a vacuum pump (if you don't have one you might be able to rent it). If you have a set of freon gauges (Autozone rents them for free) that is all you need to put the oil and 134a back into the system and it makes the job much simpler. Once the air is out of the system look at the vacuum reading on the freon gauges. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then come back and look at the reading. If it is where you left it, then you don't have any leaks. Put a can of compressor oil in the system, then the 134a. That's all there is to it.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM
priest1981
Professional

While the system is discharged it is a good idea to replace the service valves, I have seen many leak after being serviced and you will not find the leak with the guages on it. They are only a few dollars at the parts store.

Will

Old 06-04-2008, 08:34 AM
securtis12
Professional

http://www.discountacparts.com/

I used these guys and bought gauges and a pump off ebay and still cost me a whole lot less then having someone else do it.

Quick Reply: Need New AC Compressor