2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can you clean the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:42 PM
pipeking
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you clean the headlights

of corse my 99's eyes are yeelloww!and i want to no if you can open them to clean them with headlight cleaner.i've seen it used before and it works good but i dont no if you can get inside them.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:27 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: can you clean the headlights

Well, if you remove the bulb, you can stick stuff into them. But its not advised, as the yellow stuff isn't on the inside, just the out. I believe there are a couple threads related to cleaning the yellow off, and they list several chemicals. Do a search or wait for the guys who've done it before to pop on here and give their two cents.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

2000 grit sand paper and distilled water or detailing spray to wet sand, then use rubbing compound and a lot of elbow grease or a da polisher. Then top it off with wax. They'll look like new.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:15 AM
greenmachine
All Star

After using a few different products I believe I have it down to a science. First use turtle wax rubbing compound. Apply liberally with a damp cloth. Clean. Repeat if lights are extremely bad until you get results. Second, use turtle wax buffing compound. Also apply to damp cloth. You should only need to do this once at the most twice. Clean. Finally apply any form of non silicone based wax.

I have done this on several vehicles and it impresses everytime. I am not pushing turtle wax products but they seem to have worked the best and lasted the longest. This is also the cheapest method by far.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:33 PM
ramit2001
Rookie

I agree with greenmachine as the rubbing compounds and waxworked great for me too.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:59 PM
DuranguenzeRam
Rookie

I used Blue Creme Magic worked great took the yellow off left a little figured with another application will be great.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:34 PM
pipeking
Veteran

ok that sounds good i really thought it was on the in side.ill give it a shot.
i would take pics to show how it works out for me to show you guys but no one wants to show me how to post up my pics,i posted a thread to ask how but no response

Old 06-06-2008, 08:03 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cleaned mine really good with just some fibergalss boat cleaner and a powerball on my drill look as good as new and they were repulsivly yellow looked like **** now vinegar im sure anytype of buffing compound will work too....id find some wax and buff compound and use the powerball it takes it all off.....good luck

Quick Reply: can you clean the headlights