2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine works, Gauges Dont

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:44 PM
aazz44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine works, Gauges Dont

Started my truck this morning and started to drive to work. Looking down at my gauges (all of them) I see they were all dead. Nothing was registering. No temp, No RMP, No Speed etc....

However, in the milage box it said " No bus " WHats this about.

Also my Engine light, gas light, seat belt, and ABS light are all on.

Any ideas whats going on here? Bad computer? Fuse?

Wanted to get an idea before taking it in to a mechanic.

Thanks,
Mike A.

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
5.2L
2WD

Old 01-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: Engine works, Gauges Dont

No Bus means the gauges have lost communication with the PCM. Check your fuses, and if you've had the cluster out recently check the connector on the back too. Also, have you recently installed an aftermarket radio?

Old 01-18-2005, 03:57 PM
aazz44

Checked the fuses, all seem good. Haven't had the cluster out, but checked it, OK. I put the factory radio back in about 3 months ago after taking out an after-market.

I also disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes, turn the truck on and drove it for a few miles. Everything seems to be fine now. Can't get to mess up.

So what should I do? Could there be some codes still in the computer?
How do I retreive them? I hear people talking about "turn-on, turn-off" How do I do that?

Thanks for the help.
Mike A.

Old 01-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

A situation like this wouldn't set a code, I don't think. It doesn't hurt to check though. It sounds to me like your getting an intermittent short to ground on the bus. You may want to double check the connections on the back of the radio and make sure they're all good (although they probably are if this is the first time this has happened in the three months since you put the factory radio back in). There's a one wire connector that's for the J1850 Bus. This is the communication line for all the electronic modules in the vehicle, including the instrument cluster, and is typically part of the illumination circuit.

Now that the cluster is working, there's a diagnostic procedure you can do to check for cluster malfunctions or burned out/loose bulbs. It's pretty easy to do, and only take a minute or two. This is where I'd start. Here's a link that explains this procedure. Gauge cluster diagnostics

To check for codes, turn your ignition on-off-on-off-on (may require another cycle or two...seems to be different from vehicle to vehicle) within 5 seconds. The check engine light will begin to flash out the codes. Example: it flashes two times, then pauses momentarily, then flashes another three times, then pauses for about 4 seconds, then flashes 3 times, pauses momentarily, then flashes another two times. This would be codes 23 and 32. Each code will be separated by about 3-4 seconds.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:12 PM
aazz44

OK. Thanks for the help.

After re-setting the computer everything seems to be fine. Im going to drive it around for awhile and see if I can get it to mess up again. Then I'll try everything you recomended.
Scary, how everything seems to be fine now.

Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know what I find, if anything.

Mike A.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:50 PM
RICKSOCAL

DAMN GLAD I FOUND THIS FORUM......

I HAVE A 01 DODGE 1500 5.9L MAGNUM

NO BUS NO GUAGES HERE ALSO...

IT WAS THE ENGINGE INLINE CONNECTION......

DAMN GLAD NOT TO BE TAKING IT TO THE DEALER FOR A STUPID REPAIR,

DOESN'T THAT INLINE JUST RESET EVERYTHING....WON'T THE PROBLEM PERSIST?????

IF IT DOES THEN IT IS PROBABLY A SHORT OR LOOSE CONNECTION.....

TIME WILL TELL

DAMN SKIPPY TO HAVE THE GUAGES AGAIN THOUGH.....

Old 08-14-2006, 04:23 AM
zoomzoom

u probably didnt notice but while the cluster was in no buss mode mileage was never recorded so when the cluster fired back up the mileage was right were it last read. see for urself all record ur odometer reading then pull the cluster fuse drive around some, the cluster lights gauges will all be dead. stop put fuse back in and then see for yourself the results. this also works in most GM and dodge vehicles with digital odometers. this could be useful for leased or rental cars if u look at the issue not as a problem but as a fix.

Quick Reply: Engine works, Gauges Dont