2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air in Power Steering after towing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 PM
barrys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air in Power Steering after towing?

Had my 1996 1500 2wd towed because of a bad fuel pump. I had to crank the wheel with the truck off several times lock to lock to get it on the flat bed. P/S fluidcame out of the pump at the cap, tow truck driver said that is normal when turning a "car" with it not running. I have never had this happen. I put the new fuel pump in and drove the truck around the block. The steering didn't feel "right". I checked the fluid level and it seemed high and looked aerated(full of little air bubbles). If the system is full of little air bubbles, that could explain why the level was high. Any clue how to bleed air out of the system. I though you just turned it lock to lock a bunch of times but it didn't sem to help. I am hoping I didn't screw up the pump or the box, ANY ideas would be great.

thanks

Old 06-09-2008, 06:51 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Air in Power Steering after towing?

Unhook the PS line at the cooler. Put tub in a bucket. Turn on truck, DON'T turn wheel

Old 06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Reconnect and refill

Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take cap off and rotate wheel back and fourth on jack stands till she starts getting tighter.

Quick Reply: Air in Power Steering after towing?