2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC cold at first, intermittently gets hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:37 AM
markkcon1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC cold at first, intermittently gets hot

Hope someone can help me with this problem. Have a 96' Dodge Ram PU 1500. A/C blows cold but often will start to warm up after awhile.When the air turns hot, I found the clutch is no longer cycling. Checked low/high side pressures w/gauges (and engine running). Dodge manual said low should have been 30-50, was at 52. High side should have been 200-260, was at 310.Does this mean my system is overcharged, or low on freon? I hooked up a bottle of freon w/a guage on it and meter was in yellow area. Directions indicated not to add freon, seek help. May be overcharged.Systemseems to work good untilit shuts down the clutch. The fan (blows), plenum door (closes properly), clutch (cycles) all seem to work ok. If the system is overpressurized, is it a matter recovering some out of the system to lower it? Which side(s) of the system to I drain. Should high/low side be same pressure when running?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:52 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: AC cold at first, intermittently gets hot

Overcharging makes the clutch cut out so you don't damage seals. Drain some from the low pressure side.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:55 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Have you added any freon lately? It's also possible there is too much oil and not enough r-134a.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:53 AM
markkcon1

yes, I used one of those Walmart special cans of freon w/oil in it. I only put about 6 oz. of freon in it to see if it would have any affect. The gauge on thecan was in the yellow zone when I hooked it up. The pressure on the gauge didn't really change when I added the freon. So if I do as you suggest, and drain freon from the low side, should I drain it til the gauge (A/C manifold gauges) reads around 40? Should I see the high side pressure come down into range after this as well? Thanks for any help..

Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Forkliftech74

UMMM I sure hope your not using Real "Freon" because That was outlawwed in Cars/trucks some years ago. Instead R134a is the replacement since '94. Also a product called Red-tek Is available , and some say it works better. As with ALL A/C charging, and particularly Discharging, An A/C Evacuation /recovery/cleaningMachine is always supposed to be used , Period. Venting to the Atmosphere is not only Very Illegal, but also super Unsafe. Of course Accidents do happen.
Take care
Fork[sm=gears.gif]

Old 06-16-2008, 11:25 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Tomorrow morning test it first thing at 1 minute intervals with the A/C on Max and the clutch engaged.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:27 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

If you get conflicting readings, you need a better gauge. if it keeps reading high, you need to drain.

Quick Reply: AC cold at first, intermittently gets hot