2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squeeking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:48 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeeking noise

I have a squeeking noise coming from the front passenger side wheel area when going down the road. It's like a high pitched squeeking noise. I haven't done any checking out yet but any ideas what to even start to check? What would make a squeeling noise? How can I check the hub? The ball joints are several months old so fairly new and the ujoint on that side is probably 1 year old maybe. Not that old either. Would the hub do this or is it something else? How can I check the hub? What else should I check?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Gene563
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squeeking noise

Does it stop with light brake pressure? Noise from the pads possibly?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:49 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

could be the hub goin out. jack the passenger side up and move the tire and see if you can recreate it.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:53 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I had someone else drive it while I listened and they said it seemed to stop when you got on the brakes but I didn't notice that. Seems to do it just rolling. I replaced the pads, calipers, and had the rotors resurfaced a 3-4k miles ago so I don't think it's that. Doesn't sound like that to me. Would I be have play side to side if the hub was bad? I know thats how you check ball joints and tie rod ends is that how you check the hub too?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Shawn86
Professional

You know, I've been trying to find out the same damn thing on my truck. I just replaced my front rotors and pads about a month ago and all of a sudden it started squeeking last week! So I pulled the pads and lubed the hell out of the calipers with high temp greese and put stop squeek on the back of the pads, not the surface to the rotors, and that damn squeek is still there! Let me know what you find out, I gave up. It sucks cause I'm going on a road trip this friday for a week and now I've got to listen to that noise, oh well though thats what loud exhausts are for!

Sorry to jack your post

Old 06-19-2008, 12:14 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Ok got to checking. I jacked the wheel up today and it has no play at all in it when I shook it up and down. It's tight just like it has been ever since the ball joints were changed. So I guess that rules out the hubs. I looked around and didn't see anything funny. The brakes are still almost new looking as they should be. I just couldn't see anything that looks off. I put it back together. It's hard to hear inside the truck on the drivers side although you can a tiny bit. I had someone else drive it up the road while I listened. It was doing it when you took off and it seems to have stopped then but going up the road I could hear it a little. I think it's mostly gone but I can still hear it a little. They said they couldn't hear it today. I'm thinking maybe it's just the suspension squeeking or something as I didn't see anything that looked bad. How do you check the ujoints? I don't think that would be it as they were replaced not long ago and when a shop was looking for a noise they shook them and didn't seem to think they were bad when they did that. I'm starting to think it's just a little squeek and everything is probably fine.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:28 PM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain

Could be a disc shim that has slidded foward from the pad.Do your pads have shims on them and if so are they riveted to the pad or are they just attached by glue?

Lots of times the shims that are not riveted will slide foward and contact the rotor and give you that squeel while rolling.

Quick Reply: Squeeking noise